Question: Prevent re-cycling with sponge filter?

Cardozzza

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I'm hoping to start my first axolotl tank cycling soon, but I haven't decided on a filter yet.

I keep seeing sponge filters recommended since they offer such minimal water disruption, but my one concern is that when it comes time to replace the actual sponge itself, the whole tank would need to be cycled again.

Is there a way to avoid that? Can you simply add the new sponge in a week or so before removing the old sponge, giving time for the beneficial bacteria to grow in it?

Thank you! :happy:

Karayna

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
They really don't need to be replaced very often. With regular cleaning (in tank water) they will last for years!

When it's finally time to replace it I would run another filter parallell to the old one for at least 2 weeks for the bacteria to take hold. :) Good luck!

KitaKhat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another thing I have found with sponge filters is if you start getting a lot of gunk in it, just take it out and rinse it off. It can greatly increase the life of the filter and it does not impact the bacteria too badly.

Karayna's point about running them in parallel is really good advice. Unfortunately I learned the hard way with some fish that doing a flat change is not the way to go.

Cardozzza

Reaction score
Country
United States
That makes a lot of sense! :) I'm assuming that you'd just rinse it under running water, no soap or anything, right?

Karayna

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
That makes a lot of sense! :) I'm assuming that you'd just rinse it under running water, no soap or anything, right?
If you take out some tank water in a bucket and rinse the filter in there, the good bacteria will be preserved better. :) I always put pads/sponges in the old water and squeeze it/swish it around a couple of times. Works like a charm!

Cardozzza

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cool, thank you so much, I really appreciate all the help! ? I'll definitely do that then!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Mark.H:
    Great! I'll use some of those too. Thanks for the help. :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinky:
    So everywhere talks about testing your water parameters but I can't find what to do it there aren't right?! Like too low not too high, anybody any ideas?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It’s very dry in Colorado. I make sure to spritz every night so while I’m sleeping. I have a nifty hydrometer that I got from Walmart. It tells me blue, green, red; too little humid, good, too much respectively. It’s been helpful to me.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    It tells me temperature AND humidity.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Where'd you get that? Or is it just a combo from petsmart or something?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I’m pretty sure I got it at a Walmart.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    I just looked it up to see if I can find it again. It’s actually a hyGROmeter and temperature. Which measures the dew point. Here is the difference between due point and humidity. https://www.weather.gov/arx/why_dewpoint_vs_humidityYou can calculate Th relative
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    the relative humidity using the dew point measurement.
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Here is the product I purchased:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    it has a stand. And I had a spare suction from my filter. So it’s on the wall of my Sal’s enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    That’s a pic of it in the enclosure.
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Nice! Also, from what I can see you have an amazing setup! What species?
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    S. S. Gigliolli
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Ooo nice!
    +1
    Unlike
  • jnerdx:
    Thank you! I tried to share the video but unsuccessful. You can see it on my IG story @jnerdx
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Cool! I just have a tiger and a long tail, who we are trying to find as he ESCAPED INTO MY ROOM!
    +2
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    Hey y'all, recently my juvenile axolotl's tail has been floating and can swim down but his tail lifts to an angle and I believe that it is stressing him out. He gets in between his plants to balance himself and I am cleaning out the bottom of the tank with my baster. I believe I overfed him and he also may have eaten many air bubbles. He's been like this for nearly 1 1/2 days.
    +1
    Unlike
  • LauraLobster:
    What would be the best thing to do ?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Redear has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey, does anyone know if hot glue is fine to glue rocks together?
    +1
    Unlike
  • MVM1991:
    Should be. Hot glue is good when dry I believe, just don't let it get too hot and you should be good. Most super glues are good as well just watch out for flume warnings
    +2
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned.
    +1
    Unlike
    Mark.H: Ok, thanks! I am going to glue together the shale I mentioned. +1