Preventing Escape Not Ensuring Death

Natalie

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I was just reading Preventing Escape by Jennifer Macke
Caudata Culture Articles - Preventing Escape, a well-written article which gave me the idea that I can use foam around some gaps, but one thing disturbed me, two references to duct tape being used to create a wide rim to prevent escape. Why did it upset me? Well just earlier today I came across a rather gory article about 1 bird, 1 salamander and two frogs getting stuck in glue traps and dying miserably. Never mind that it was actually 1 bird, 1 skink and 2 toads in the photo, the point is that, especially if the caudate hasn't just emerged from the water, there is a good chance it could stick to to exposed sticky surfaces, and die there.

Exactly the reason I don't use duct tape.
I saw someone post setups with duct tape and asked how would that prevent a escape; when there was a possibility of the animals actually getting stuck there and be harder to deal with it. I didn't get a response though.

My guess is that if the animals are comfortable in their enclosure they won't leave the water most of the time; but that would turn the duct tape completetly obsolete.

I would hope if someone used duct tape to make a broader rim they would not leave exposed sticky surfaces. You can 2 ply the duct tape sticky-to-sticky side.

I would hope if someone used duct tape to make a broader rim they would not leave exposed sticky surfaces. You can 2 ply the duct tape sticky-to-sticky side.

Exactly, Duct tape is mentioned as a 'temporary quick fix'. Maybe it should say use duct tape and common sense? ;)

I thought of double taping sticky to sticky, even though it isn't written anywhere I can remember. As you said Chinadog, common sense, but there are people who might be quicker to act than thinking about consequences. I know I might be someone with that kind of profile, specially when taking advice from people who I think know more than myself. I have to be more critical of everything, but that's something I need to improve.

Even properly done, I can't see how it would prevent a fugitive newt... It could as easily escape if it wanted. Personally, I wouldn't risk it either way.

Also, I do believe there's people who use this method not only as a quick fix but also as a permanent prevention.

Glue traps have extremely strong glue that even a person would have a hard time getting off of them. Duct tape uses a much milder adhesive, that while sticky is not anywhere near as strong. That being said, I do not like the idea of duct tape either. Not only do I not like the look, but I do not feel that would be particularly useful as they may be able to just push past the tape if they do not get caught in it. I like to use traditional tanks with secure fitting mesh lids to prevent any sort of escape. I have to agree though that if they are happy they tend to not try to get out. The only time I had ever had newts try to escape was when I had Eastern Newts. They do not do well in captivity already, but I had 3 in a ten gallon temporarily and they constantly tried to escape. Once I moved them to a twenty gallon high, they never tried again. That being said I would never chance it. I much prefer the secure fitting metal screen lids, especially the ones with a door that can open and close on the top for ease of feeding.

If you crisscross the tape (as shown in the article's picture) it should be strong enough. If it's done well, it would be difficult for a newt to push through because they'd have to widen the hole, and, with properly crisscrossed duct tape, that would be difficult (duct tape doesn't stretch much, particularly if you have more than one layer). But, of course, that also depends on the size of your newt, relative to the hole.

Guess I read through kind of quickly before posting my previous reply. The logic behind the wide rim, to me, is that the animal can't walk upside down, so if they can't reach the lip while clinging to the side, they can't escape. They maybe able to cheat gravity a bit and climb up some vertical or nearly vertical surfaces, but there is a limit to that.

Do some species have suction cups on their fingers/toes? That's what I think would be needed for the newt to make it out of an aquarium with a wide enough rim.

I'm no expert though. I've heard of salamanders and newts being able to climb up terrarium sides, but the only time I saw one of mine try that it fell on its back before leaving the ground.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back