Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pro-Question: Think this decor is safe to submerge?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is probably safe to submerge, but I wouldn't use it for any animal. The problem is that an animal could crawl inside and you couldn't get them back out. It doesn't say that there is any way to take the thing apart. Seems like a bad idea.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ye also whenever I get a decoration I don't get anything with a hole about the size of a fat newt or smaller. I've had them get stuck in those holes and die.

Linus

Reaction score
It has huge opening, the entire bottom is open.. hard to tell from the pic. I have already purchased this and the Kaiseri were using it as one of their terrestrial hides. The entire bottom of the item is wide open so there's nowhere for them to get stuck. I was more concerned about the risk of the resin or whatever it's made out of leaking into my water.

Linus

Reaction score
So just to confirm, you're saying you DON'T think this will leak resin/paint/whatever into the tank?

Lamb

Reaction score
So just to confirm, you're saying you DON'T think this will leak resin/paint/whatever into the tank?

Well, the resin is apparently "dishwasher safe." That likely means that the resin can withstand the dishwasher and that it's fine to wash it with items that touch food, which says something (i.e., it might be okay to use it). But without knowing exactly what was in the resin, you wont know for sure. Then again, we probably don't know how much leaks out of different plastics that might affect our bodies or those of our animals.Often, things made for reptiles or terrestrial enclosures will have a "do not submerge" note on it. I take it that such a note isn't present.

What the Caudata care articles usually say is "if in doubt, leave it out." That being said, if you can test it by soaking it in a smaller container for a couple of weeks, that might give you more to work with. If it makes the test water smell or discolored, or if it becomes more brittle or pliable than it was when you got it, then you know you probably shouldn't use it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!