Prolapse?

J

jim

I have never seen anything like this before:
80586.jpg

I started looking at my other P Waltl, and this is a completely different newt that looks like it is developing the same condition. It will not move from this same position except to go up for air.
80587.jpg

80588.jpg

I recently switched this tank to sand, and they have all been breeding steadily ever since. They have also been eating lots of eggs I have not had time to harvest. Other than that nothing has changed. Water quality, temps, everything is fine. Please help there are no exotic vets around here and I don't know what to do.

More than likely, the only thing you'll be able to do is to carefully push it back into place. This may require the assistance of another person; one to hold the newt still, and the other to push it back in. A Q-tip of comparable size may be your best tool to do this.

(Message edited by tmarmoratus on March 22, 2007)

I have never had this happen, but Paris has recommended a wet Q-tip. It is best to act quickly before infection or necrosis sets in.

When I got home from work both animals no longer had anything protruding externally. Their cloacas look slightly swollen but no more so than regular breeding condition. In the quarantine tank I put them in, there were several chunks of undigested earthworm and probably 30 or so grains of sand in the bottom of the tank. I have been feeding heavily every day to prevent as much egg consumtion as possible. I am trying to determine what caused this temporary but very frightening issue. The sand, the extra portions of earthworms, or the mass consumtion of eggs. On the bright side, I have at least 150 fertile eggs so far and still counting.

I was wondering if maybe the stuff protruding might be poorly-digested food rather than intestine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back