Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Proposed Field Herping Trip, approx 3/14-3/18

Reaction score
Now ya tell me! I went to that hatchery in December. I talked to the person there about hellbenders, but didn't think to ask if I could see the facility. They have a program for hellbenders where they try to give the young a head-start by hatching and raising them in captivity until they are a decent size, then releasing them. The eggs come from the wild though, they aren't CBing them. The hatchery is worth seeing, even if you don't get to see the hellbenders.

Yeah, the larvae they have right now were hatched from eggs they collected, but they have adults on station they are attempting to breed last time I was there. I was an intern at the Neosho National Fish Hatchery the summer of 2009 and I went up with some hatchery biologists to get a tour of the Shepherd of the Hills facility. I'm sure they wold give individuals a tour upon request, they are pretty nice up there.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It's PRESUMED extinct. Richard Highton reported possibly seeing specimens in a recent search, but they escaped. No-one has ever searched under "ideal" wet spring conditions. There also doesn't seem to be any good reason they WOULD be extinct, nor why they would have been restricted to the one location to begin with. There are plenty of reasons they wouldn't be found apart from actual extinction, and most of them amount to not searching properly.

IUCN lists it as extinct. They usually don't go out on that limb unless they're pretty sure.

And searches have been done on 1 March 1991; 23 April 1991; 17 July 1991; 4 June 1992; 20–21 May 1994; 14–16 December 1994; 8 and 20 February 1995; 11 and 23 March 1995; 3 and 13 April 1995; and 27 February 1997. That's 14 different searches. In Mississippi, it's pretty wet in February and March, and sometimes into April. I'm not sure why this wouldn't be 'ideal' or how many more searches you'd need to convince you otherwise.

Plethodontids are not known for their elusiveness. They're not, by nature, all that hard to find. They don't burrow, they rarely retreat too far underground. And Highton said he might have caught a glimpse of one. Anyone who has ever been field herping knows how difficult it is to ID a salamander to a species level from a split-second glance. It's just impossible, especially in a genus where all members look fairly similar. I don't buy it.

Regardless, Jasper Co. is 7 hours the other way of where John is headed.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got back. Here's the list by state:

Texas
Ambystoma opacum
Ambystoma talpoideum
Ambystoma maculatum (just eggs and larvae)

Oklahoma
Plethodon sequoyah
Siren intermedia nettingi
Plethodon ouachitae (just the Winding Stair Phase this time)
Plethodon serratus
Eurycea lucifuga
Eurycea longicauda melanopleura
Eurycea spelea

Arkansas
Plethodon albagula
Plethodon angusticlavius
Ambystoma maculatum
Plethodon caddoensis
Plethodon serratus
Desmognathus brimleyorum

Indiana (stopped off on the way home)
Plethodon cinereus
Plethodon electromorphus
Plethodon dorsalis
Eurycea cirrigera

Didn't get to Fourche Mountain this time around, hence no Plethodon fourchensis. Also didn't go fishing for Eurycea tynerensis. Didn't see any Eurycea multiplicata this time.

Shepard of the Hills don't have any Ozark Hellbenders on site right now so I didn't visit there.

I've been on the road since Sunday, so total about 6 days, solo.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1