Protein Buildup

aymeh21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Currently I have my axies in two separate 10 gallon tanks while we get their new tank 55 gallon up and running. Both of these tanks have hang-on-back filters which we put sandwich bags over and cut holes in to direct the water against the back of the tank to prevent heavy water flow. My only problem now is that I am having protein buildup on top of the water. As far as I know this isn't dangerous, but I just wanted to make certain.

I skim it off with a paper towel every few days. I do not know much about protein skimmers. Do they produce a lot of water flow? Are they necessary in a situation like this? When their new tank is ready I plan on having a bubble stone in the tank somewhere and I'm planning on a canister filter if I can manage to afford one. Will the bubble stone help eliminate this problem?

Any advice will be appreciated and thank you in advance!

I like the plastic bag idea, I might have to give that a go. protien buildup isn't dangerous, and one way to get rid of it is to just have more surface agitation. An air bubbler would probably help alot. I wouldn't get a protien skimmer. If it's what I'm thinking of it's mainly for saltwater tanks, and pretty darn expesnive, like you could get a chiller for basically the same price.

Awesome! I didn't think it was harmful, but better safe than sorry. The plastic bag idea works wonders, except of course creating this eyesore.

Yeah, fairly expensive and chillers are much out of my price range. My idea to keep the water cool, may I reiterate idea, is using a wine chiller. The plan is cracking off the shell to find a place we can drill through without damaging any internals. Drilling the hole to fit a tube through and somehow rigging up a pump to keep water constantly cycling from the tank to the chiller, chiller to tank.

I'm not sure if this is going to work, but it's worth a shot I suppose. Anyone know if anyone has tried anything like this before?

yea I've read a few threads about doing that. Have you tried using a fan? I was on the lookout for a mini fridge, but once I got a fan I realized it wasn't going to be necessary.

Haven't tried using fans yet, but haven't had the need. Since I've owned the axies it hasn't gotten much above freezing here. When we build the top for their new tank we are planning on installing L.E.D's into it and a few fans with toggle switches just in case we need a back up for the wine chiller. If this summer is anything like last I want to be overly prepared. We do not have central air so it can get quite hot in here when we aren't running the air conditioner.

Protein skimmers only work in saltwater aquaria, something to do with the salt water making it easer to separate it from the tank environment.

perhaps try to source the buildup and eliminate it?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back