Providing live food to little terrestrial metamorphs

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
Some species of salamander metamorphose at a small size. As such, it is sometimes difficult to provide small live prey with regularity and diversity that is appropriate.

After attempting to feed young Cynops ensicauda popei with springtails and fruit flies, I decided to try another method. For six weeks, I've been raising young newts on a substrate made by compost from my garden, rich in all kinds of small animals. I monitor my newts and I change the substrate when I notice their stomach is less plump. I've added no other food at the moment.

They are very dynamic and they grow well. Will come a time when this scheme will not be enough and I can go to earthworms.

This method could help ensure the first weeks after the metamorphosis for small species like Hypselotriton orientalis or Notophtalmus viridescens.

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
I admit it's not very esthetic : egg shell, tomato skins and other pieces of vegetables, germinating tomato seedlings...
But one can also notice woodlice. The biggest woodlice are not eaten, of course.

Notice one of the newtlets has a weird clear colour.

Attachments

• Cep 150516.jpg
    Cep 150516.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 349

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
England
It will be interesting to see how the weird coloured baby turns out, I recently saw a picture of a bright red C. e popei, a bit like the rare all red C. pyrrhogaster that sometimes occur, but with the popei gold/green splodges. I wonder if that's what you have there?

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello Chinadog
I'll give news from time to time.
At the moment, there is not much change.

Since I don't want to disturb them too much, I watch them each other day, in the evening when they are more active.
2 days ago, I noticed their belly was not as plump as usual, so I changed the substrate. Now they are fine again.

I take mainly the superficial layer of my compost, which is coarse, not wery wet and rich in arthropods.

juraj

Reaction score
Country
Slovak Republic
Interesting. I tried this method a few years ago but I failed. PH too low maybe ?

otolith

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have used this method for raising lissotriton and notophtalmus. It works quite well for small, recently morphed animals that are fickle eaters. Once they get to a larger, more robust size I switch to small isopods, earthworms & slugs from my garden and pinhead crickets. I have found that really small morphs do best when they can forage for their own tiny prey items in a more naturalist set up.

Niels D

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I've used this method for Notophthalmus, Lissotriton and Paramesotriton. It didn't work for Paramesotriton, though I don't know if the method itself was the problem. Love these kinds of methods!

JM29

Reaction score
Country
France
Update :

They are still doing fine, and also very dynamic.
They also seem to have eaten ants (Lasius niger).

Thiago

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I noticed a lot of "life" in organic matter that covers my earthworm box.
I really had thought of using them with small amphibians.

It is good to know that you are using with success!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • xxianxx:
    @axolotl nerd, rads, the cycle has crashed or the tank wasnt fully cycled to start with. Remove the animals to a seperate tank or tub, give 100% daily water changes. It can take a while to cycle a tank if its yr first time.
    +2
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    xxianxx has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Hey guys! We had our first unexpected hot day and I was an idiot and forgot to put on the fan for my axolotl tank. When I came to feed her at around 7, I noticed the tank was 75 degrees!! It has never been this warm, it’s always a stable 67ish without a fan. It was only this warm for today (yesterday it was normal temps), and I immeditately got the fan on when I saw. It is down to 69 degrees now. Is my axie going to be ok with the increase in temperature for a day?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Oh that’s in Fahrenheit by the way, I think in Celsius it almost got up to 24 c if I’m not mistaken
    +1
    Unlike
  • Toothpickthelotl:
    Axie is showing no signs of stress whatsoever
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    A short temp spike is unlikely to cause any long term probs
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • gemdimps:
    Hi 👋🏻 I am desperately seeking cycling advice
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    NewtPoot has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RCWaterPets has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Carly1502:
    Hi guys, I have a dwarf axolotl. Got him/her in February and since it’s grown to around 4.5 inches it has constantly been constipated. Having to fridge the poor thing every few weeks. Has anyone else got a dwarf and had these problems?
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    my cousin has a dwarf, he thankfully doesn’t have such problems. good luck though :)
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    +1
    Unlike
  • Lilith:
    Hey guys, one of my axolotls has developed some fungus on one of her gills, I've started salt baths, but do salt baths need to be done in the fridge, some people said I should have her in the fridge permanently during the process, even when not in the salt bath, is this true? As some people said its unnecessary as long as the tank is below 20°c which it is. Also do I need to get them both out the tank and clean it out?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Nagato:
    Does anybody know where I can find Triturus karelinii?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    RobynB27 has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: RobynB27 has joined the room. +1