Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudotriton ruber breeding success!

Aneides

Reaction score
Incredible! I have been waiting along time to see another captive breeding of these. Tim, thanks for the tips about these guys. I was (and still might be) interested in them, but I then heard about their ideal temp range, which would be hard to contantly maintain. It is just inspiring seeing how many plethodontids are being captive bred. I mean, look ten years back, extremely few people had even kept any plethodontids. Look how far we have come now, captive breeding of these wonderful animals. Unbelievable.

Aneides

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
When I have time I'll look trough the tank carefully. I'd like to have a good size group of F2's.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Noticed that underneath this rock had been cleared out. Sand was pushed out and I saw a tail slowly waving about. Then I saw the egg and freaked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 503

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
There's a nest full of them now. Female guarding it well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 483

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Congrats again! Tis the season. They laid early at the zoo this year too...no idea why. Other oviposition events were in late Nov and Dec, this year late Oct.

I'd strongly suggest separating a few from the female into deli cups. Aquatic species do not seem to be so dependent on maternal bacteria for egg defense, so separating them may go a long way to getting your desired larvae this year.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Congrats again! Tis the season. They laid early at the zoo this year too...no idea why. Other oviposition events were in late Nov and Dec, this year late Oct.

I'd strongly suggest separating a few from the female into deli cups. Aquatic species do not seem to be so dependent on maternal bacteria for egg defense, so separating them may go a long way to getting your desired larvae this year.

Gotcha I'll separate a few. But I'd hate to disturb the nest fearing she will flee and won't return to the nest. I may try to use forceps to grab a few and harvest them.

velasco13000

Reaction score
question...were yours captive breed or wild caught? I saw some for sale online a while ago but im sure they were WC..just curious as to how difficult it was to keep them

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
question...were yours captive breed or wild caught? I saw some for sale online a while ago but im sure they were WC..just curious as to how difficult it was to keep them

Mine are a WC group that I've had for years now. Actually I may have had these guys for 2 years before they bred. Housing isn't difficult but breeding I would say is difficult. Setup and cycling plays a big part in getting them into the breeding mood.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Ok got some better photos to share.

Attachments

• IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_6999.jpg
    IMG_6999.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 505
  • IMG_6886.jpg
    IMG_6886.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 557

velasco13000

Reaction score
I see that the mother guards them...when the eggs hatch will she eat the larvae??

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I see that the mother guards them...when the eggs hatch will she eat the larvae??

Paternal canibalism does happen. It happens in captivity and in the wild. The reason why some females eat their eggs or offspring is because during the time they guard their nest they aren't concerned with eating. So during the whole time a mother watches and tail fans her eggs (for air circulation) she will not eat.

So previous to breeding if a mother hasn't eaten well she may eat her eggs or young. I feed my salamanders often so I doubt she will eat her eggs

Ted

Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread I'll just add this topic here since its so similar. My Pseudotriton ruber nitidus is laying her batch of eggs as well. She's a familiar face on Caudata. She actually started laying yesterday and I spent most of last night watching her. Took some photos and a short video. Please check it out.

Its hard to distinguish her apart from a P. ruber and to identify her as a Pseudotriton r. nitidus. The video and pics do no justice for identification. Her eggs don't hang from the rocks they stick to it. P. ruber eggs hang from a from the ceiling of the rocks in little sacs and move around with water motion. P. r. nitidus eggs just stick to where ever they are laid.

YouTube - Pseudotriton ruber nitidus/Red Salamander fanning eggs

I find this just incredible,,this is one of my most favorite animals..I'm glad to see I'm on the right track as my setups and feeding are pretty much just like yours ..I have some rocks in them but use just a bare glass bottom..

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I find this just incredible,,this is one of my most favorite animals..I'm glad to see I'm on the right track as my setups and feeding are pretty much just like yours ..I have some rocks in them but use just a bare glass bottom..

I hope people can breed P. ruber and raise some up constantly. If you really want to try to breed them make sure you cool them in winter. I mean seriously my female laid when the temps were about 38f-45f, this could vary depending on the locale of your P. ruber. Another thing is try not to disturb the nest or let any other tank mate disturb the nest. Best to remove other tank mates not gaurding eggs.

Good luck

TristanClark

Reaction score
still hoping my pair will do something, havent seen any courtship since november. If they end up breeding though I'll have to seperate the spring salamanders and seperate the stud male ruber to lol. the way my tank is i'd have to take everything out just to check for eggs.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
still hoping my pair will do something, havent seen any courtship since november. If they end up breeding though I'll have to seperate the spring salamanders and seperate the stud male ruber to lol. the way my tank is i'd have to take everything out just to check for eggs.

Best to redo it now before they will court agian. I had a crazy set up last year that's why I didn't even know they've been breeding till I saw babies. Obviously I changed their setup and made it so I can atleast see nests if females lay.

Dendro Dave

Reaction score
I'm easier to find on dendroboard, (same name) but if anyone having success is eventually ready to let some of these go PM me here, or DB, or DmarksVR@yahoo.com. I can meet their needs have experience with several newt/sally species, (and frogs of course)

Great work guys!:happy:

velasco13000

Reaction score
I'm getting a big group of ltc adults. Any suggestions or tips on keeping these guys?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!