Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pseudotriton ruber fish safe?

Hecklad

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon long tank that I keep a school of Hemitremia flammea and a large-ish Etheostoma rufilineatum in, all the fish are at least 1.5 inches. I have been considering modifying it to add a land area to allow for a single or pair of rubers to live in there. Would they be a threat to my fish?

MnGuy

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd be more worried about your fish being a threat to the salamanders. I've kept native minnows, dace and several species of native darters. They are pretty bold, boisterous fish that are also aggressive feeders. I'd be more worried about the fish picking on the salamanders and injuring them (especially their eyes), stressing them out and easily out-competing them for food.

I kept darters in a 4-foot-long tank and some were vicious to other fish in their territory, killing them immediately.

Hecklad

Reaction score
Interesting, what species did you keep? I have never had that happen with any of the darters I have kept. The flame chubs are extremely docile and, while larger, are akin to the attitude of white cloud minnows, so I am not worried about them causing harm.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Interesting, what species did you keep? I have never had that happen with any of the darters I have kept. The flame chubs are extremely docile and, while larger, are akin to the attitude of white cloud minnows, so I am not worried about them causing harm.
Rainbow, Iowa, fantail, banded. Not all at once.

I had four rainbows and they killed the Iowa darters in a four-foot tank.

Hecklad

Reaction score
I kept rainbows with snubnoses much smaller than themselves and they never messed with them. Could be because I had the tank over stocked though so they couldn't really form territories.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!