Purple sand for 99p!

siona

Reaction score
Country
England
In case anyone's interested, my local '99p Store' was selling bags of purple play sand :D I bought 2 bags to cover my 3 ft tank and had half a bag left. I rinsed it and it didn't cloud or stain the water too badly. And it's nice and fine. They only had purple in the shop, but there might be other colours in other 99p shops.

I'd be very wary of using coloured sand that is not sold for aquarium use. What does it say on the bag?

I second Julia's question, and then if it is ok I would do a litttle extra rinsing, till your arm hurts, then a little bit more, because the dye might be a bit iffy.

Last edited by a moderator:
fair point! It was labelled as children's play sand. I rinsed it all through like I did with the other aquarium sand I bought before., and it seems to be fine. No changes in water colour or axie behaviour.

Anychance of a photo? I wouldnt mind seeing how it looks in the aquarium. :D

i am really interested to know how everything is going with the purple sand........ i would love to get some colored sand for my tank.... i was almost thinking of getting some of those 2mm glass beads... but i am not sure about if the axies would get impacted on them like they would on gravel..

I think 2mm is the maximum accepted as safe so it is up to you if you want to risk it I guess? I personally don't mind bare bottomed so much now but since I took my wild type off the sand she's been less than impressed! There's a post here http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ilters-substrate/75192-new-tank-set-up-2.html with barbie pink sand though which looks awesome :) Could always check how much it is to ship to the US

how many kg (lbs) of sand would i need for a 3 foot or 2 foot tank? I'm planning on picking some up tommorow..

Hi sorry, havent checked this thread in a while. I'll post a pic up in a just a sec (i'm just transferring it now). The sand has been fine - both my guys seem in fine health, and no cloudy water anymore.

@Aimz Lotties, I can't remember how large the bags were (wish I'd checked!) maybe 2kg?? Anyway, 1 and a half bags more than covered my 3 foot tank.

looks more blue in the photo, but there it is!

Attachments

• IMAG0722.jpg
    IMAG0722.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 433
Thanks, i might have to test some :D if i find any ahah!

looks really good.

well i was also thinking i might just go pool filter sand .... its so boring but i will take a trip to the craft store and see if i can find those big glass stones....

Ooh I definitely need to pick some of that up! Just means trekking over the water to Liverpool on the train and lugging bags on public transport :( Driving and parking will cost me about £10 :mad:

rubbish! Just lugging 2 bags back to the car took me a while lol! But it'll be worth it :)

mamatoulouse - careful with glass stones. Everyone on here will tell you to avoid anything up to the size of the axie's head. You don't want them swallowing it! (apologies if you already know this - just making sure!)

siona,

3 kg covering a 3 foot tank?? are you sure?? I saw a 5 kg bag today and looked like it would barely cover a 2 footer..

did you mean pounds maybe??

-Aimz

I'm headed over next week with mum for some purple stuff :) Just ordering my green stuff online now :D

I'm headed over next week with mum for some purple stuff :) Just ordering my green stuff online now :D

If you are making a special trip, it might be worth calling ahead to make sure they have it. Most of the stores don't seem to have it as it was left over last years stock.

i ended up scratching the sand idea i ended up using this hand dyed fabric i got in Nigeria, i folded ironed and pinned it so fit under my tank to now it has a design but nothing for my future axie to swallow... but i still think i will end up getting one large flat stones to put on the bottom every so often so it has some traction

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back