Putting potatoes in axolotl tank?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay, so after doing research I found out that java fern needs potassium. So I thought, okay, well people put eggshells in their aquariums for calcium, so can I put cooked spinach, bananas, potatoes, or other potassium rich foods in my axolotl tank? Does anyone know if this would affect my axolotl in anyway? I will probably use potatoes. Maybe like a tiny slice under the driftwood?

I've definitely heard of people putting sweet potatoes in the tank and it greatly benefits their plants. The way I've seen it done is letting the potato start rooting in a glass of water and then transferring it to the tank and basically treat it like growing plants in hydro. Axolotls don't seem to mind it, especially if you let the roots grow long enough they can create little shady spots for them.

You can grow sweet potatoes out of your tank but no do not put any of those foods in your tank. Those foods will spike your ammonia and potentially crash you cycle. I just said on your other post you need a shrimp safe fertilizer only. Others include copper which is an axolotl no no. YOu have to use half dose and not as often.

You can grow sweet potatoes out of your tank but no do not put any of those foods in your tank. Those foods will spike your ammonia and potentially crash you cycle. I just said on your other post you need a shrimp safe fertilizer only. Others include copper which is an axolotl no no. YOu have to use half dose and not as often.
Okay thank you! I tried to delete my other post after more research but the button was glitching😂 My Java Ferns we’re struggling a lot, maybe I’ll bag them and fridge them, I think I maybe bought a bad plant, or I was doing something horribly wrong.

After reading a couple of other old threads, people say to ask at a vet about certain fertilizers. Would u happened to have asked any vets you work with about fertilizers? If not that’s okay! If so, what fertilizers in specific would they say is fine?

I have access to VIN - Veterinary Information Network. I have read all the axolotl articles, journals, conference preceedings etc.
Copper is the concern which is prevalent in all general ferts except shrimp safe - basic"salts" are fine but in general as they are scaleless its half dose and half as regular as they absorb things faster.

I have personally used shrimp safe Thrive in my axolotl and Spanish ribbed newt tanks.

I have access to VIN - Veterinary Information Network. I have read all the axolotl articles, journals, conference preceedings etc.
Copper is the concern which is prevalent in all general ferts except shrimp safe - basic"salts" are fine but in general as they are scaleless its half dose and half as regular as they absorb things faster.

I have personally used shrimp safe Thrive in my axolotl and Spanish ribbed newt tanks.
Okay!! Thank you! I don’t plan on getting plants for a little while, but I like to get everything sorted out a while before hand😂

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back