PVC pipes

Kal El

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jay
Hello everyone,

I've noticed that many people put PVC pipes in their tanks as a place of refuge for their axolotls. However, has anybody considered the carcinogenicity of these PVC pipes, in particular the active compound vinyl chloride?

Jay.

Last edited:
I've noticed that many people put PVC pipes in their tanks as a place of refuge for their axolotls. However, has anybody considered the carcinogenicity of these PVC pipes, in particular the active compound vinyl chloride?

In a word. No mate :D

Only just heard of carcinogenicity and the active compound vinyl chloride :confused: ...in lay-man's terms what's it all about? :eek:

I had some PVC pipes in mine for a while (water pipes - uncle is a plumber) ...didn't notice any problems. Of course, that doesn't mean there weren't any.

In a word. No mate :D

Only just heard of carcinogenicity and the active compound vinyl chloride :confused: ...in lay-man's terms what's it all about? :eek:

I had some PVC pipes in mine for a while (water pipes - uncle is a plumber) ...didn't notice any problems. Of course, that doesn't mean there weren't any.
A carcinogen is a substance (natural/man-made) that has the potential to cause cancer. In the case of PVC pipes, vinyl chloride is liver carcinogen. Other synthetic substances that are liver carcinogens in animals include some dialkylnitrosamines, some organochlorine pesticides, certain polychlorinated biphenyls, carbon tetrachloride and chloroform.

Jay.​

Say dialkylnitrosamines three times fast, I dare you.

Say dialkylnitrosamines three times fast, I dare you.

:lol: I think I'd rather save myself the mental fit. However you can try this one if you like:

Benzotriazol-1-yloxytris(dimethylamino)phosphonium hexafluorophosphate.

Goodluck! :p

Jay.

Last edited:
A carcinogen is a substance (natural/man-made) that has the potential to cause cancer. In the case of PVC pipes, vinyl chloride is liver carcinogen. Other synthetic substances that are liver carcinogens in animals include some dialkylnitrosamines, some organochlorine pesticides, certain polychlorinated biphenyls, carbon tetrachloride and chloroform.​

Jay.​

Oh dammit! That's what I was about to say! ;)

I'm interested as I am going to be 'renovating' my big tank this weekend - I'm sick of the big stones and want some play SAND! If the axies are lucky, they might get some too. I will also be adding hidey caves...to the tank...Is terracotta pipes okay and a better alternative?

As far as I know, vinyl chloride very is well soluble in some organic food, but hardly in water. PVC-pipes are said to be (sea-)water safe, it is used in water pipes for a long time (not only for aquariums, but also for human usage).

VC is carcinogenic, that is right, but as far as I know there seems to be no threat if you use (hard) PVC in water.

PVC is approved (and, I assume, thoroughly tested) for use in human drinking water systems. Personally, if something is approved for use for human drinking water, I'm willing to assume that it's safe for aquarium animals.

The amphibian "bible", Wright & Whitakers's Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry, says that PVC piping is widely used to supply water for misting systems for frogs in zoos. Their only caveat is to explain that the glue used to assemble these systems is toxic until it is completely cured and should be allowed to cure for a long time before use. They consider the PVC pipe itself to be safe.

There are always "degrees of risk" in anything you put into an aquarium. We may find out 20 years from now that something in the silicone sealant used in aquariums has some long-term toxicity. But to the best of the knowledge we have right now, it doesn't look like PVC is significantly toxic.

As far as I know, vinyl chloride very is well soluble in some organic food, but hardly in water. PVC-pipes are said to be (sea-)water safe, it is used in water pipes for a long time (not only for aquariums, but also for human usage).

VC is carcinogenic, that is right, but as far as I know there seems to be no threat if you use (hard) PVC in water.

I'm pretty sure Daniel has the right here. I can't find any sources, but the rigid PVC used in construction contains no plasticizers and is also a very well reacted polymer. There is very little unreacted vinyl chloride left in the matrix to leach into the water, whether it is our drinking water or the aquarium.

I should note that both PVC degradation and production can have adverse effects on the environment.

I will also be adding hidey caves...to the tank...Is terracotta pipes okay and a better alternative?

I'm assuming terracotta pipes should be fine seeing as many people use terracotta pots. Perhaps you could even build a fort/cave using stones and slate? I did- and that's where my axolotl goes when she has had enough of me :p

Jay.

Perhaps you could even build a fort/cave using stones and slate? I did- and that's where my axolotl goes when she has had enough of me :p

Jay.

thats what i've got too :D It works really well, it's multi layered:D

Perhaps you could even build a fort/cave using stones and slate?

Yep, I've already got the fort and caves established - I need to upgrade to castle and caverns though! :eek:

that's where my axolotl goes when she has had enough of me :p

By the end of the day, I think I will have had enough of them ;) They've got the natural gratitude of a Estuarine Crocodile!

If I am feeling conceited, I'll put before and after shots in the gallery :D

There is a song by 80's artist Joe Jackson or it could be Jackson Browne, I have difficulty recalling big chunks of the 80's

Title "Everything gives you Cancer"

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back