PVC piping hiding places

AristotleA

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If, like me, you don't like to pay a lot for something you can get cheaply elsewhere (like my homemade duct tape wallet)

You might have thought about the solution for buying expensive reptile hides which is buying a large PVC pipe and cutting it to size for your axolotl(s). I'm just making this thread to show you that they work pretty well and axolotls will love them! My guy spends about half of his life in one of the 3 pipe sections I have in the tank. I have one end angled at the side of the aquarium so I can see him at all times, but he can hide from any angle of light. This bit of brown pipe I bought was £2.49 in B&Q and I could've made about 10 more with the amount of pipe I still have. I also bought a small piece of sandpaper to smooth out the edges so my little Aristotle doesn't cut himself. One con is that they do not really look as good, admittedly, but I don't find them too offensive to the eyes.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

keiko

Reaction score
Country
Finland
You can easily attach some sand or rocks to it with aquarium safe silicone if you want to make it look more natural. Or grow some moss on it.

valkyriemome

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a mix of more traditional aquarium hidey holes and some PVC pipes. They seem to like the hides better-I think they are darker.

Swag

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Copper

Thought you guys might like this, made a background for my old 29 gallon. It had both a vertical and horizontal pvc pipe sections inside of it that were connected, the two (not fully grown) axolotls that lived in the tank were constantly hanging out inside the tunnels. Over all the maintenance wasn't too bad, I'd just take the turkey baster and push water through the tunnel which would push out any detritus and poop in there, did that about once a week. I enjoyed making it and really enjoyed looking at it.

valkyriemome

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice looking tank!

I think I'd miss my axi's if I couldn't see them. Did they get up in there and hide out?

Swag

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Copper
Nice looking tank!

I think I'd miss my axi's if I couldn't see them. Did they get up in there and hide out?
When they felt the urge. In the picture you can see my leucistic in the plants on the left side. They spent most of their time in the plants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Kwags:
    When little axolotls are tubbed is it common for them to get a little more spunky then usual? Water temps around 64-65 F and has been changed today with prime added
    +1
    Unlike
  • Murk:
    Uh. That depends on your definition of "spunky"?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    @Kwags, how big?
    +1
    Unlike
  • HalfDrunkToast:
    my baby hes tubed and hes a wild child xD
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    Swimming like crazy. A little more pep in his step. I think about 3 inches.
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Hi does anyone know if jungle fungus clear is safe to use for my axolotl? She has some either fungus or bacterial growth on her fillibrae and maybe body and I read that's good to use if you aren't sure if the problem is bacterial or fungal
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    I have not heard of that before.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EasternRomioi3:
    That jungle fungus clear. I've been dealing with some fungus with my axolotl on and off this summer. The Holtsfreter solution and water changes just seem to do the trick after a bit
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    Where do you get the holtsfreter solution? I've been upping water changes but salt bath seems to be more stressful/harmful than beneficial because she does not like to be caught!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Anyone know how to harden soft water without raising pH?
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    To raise GH, add calcium carbonate (or tums). What has you doing this?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Slash-GNR:
    Thank you! My tap water is naturally low in GH and KH, and I need to raise it... but I don't want to raise the pH, which is perfect, with coral.
    +1
    Unlike
  • EaglesFan78:
    anyone have firebelly newts forsale message me !!!!!
    +1
    Unlike
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1