Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quarantining feeders?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I want to add some white clouds and glass shrimp to my axolotls tank. This will probably be over Christmas break. I was thinking of quarantining them with methylene blue, and Furan2, the only 2 meds I have on hand. I can also see what meds they have at Petsmart. I don’t know how much money I will have by then to spend, depends on how many chores I can do between then and now lol. Any recommendations for meds I could pick up there. I plan on quarantining the glass shrimp and white clouds together, with a cheap internal filter I will pick up there with probably some of my axolotls filter media stuffed in. Will meds harm the beneficial bacteria? I can also just wring some out and put it in the water or put some sand in. Will 2 weeks be long enough? If anyone has an advice let me know!!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Quarantine doesn't mean automatically treat.
Its about watching for issues.

Meth Blue messes with Beneficial Bacteria from what I remember - I'd have to double check though

I don't know if Meth Blue & Furan 2 are shrimp safe

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Quarantine doesn't mean automatically treat.
Its about watching for issues.

Meth Blue messes with Beneficial Bacteria from what I remember - I'd have to double check though

I don't know if Meth Blue & Furan 2 are shrimp safe
[/QUOTE
Okay! I can google it too. My axolotl is my first aquatic animal other then a betta fish or 2, what should I watch out for? I saw some girl out fish in straight from her pet store and her lorl was fine. I’m assuming this is luck though.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
watch for white spots on the fish, worms out the fish or attacked to the fish, shrimp watch for worms in any of them. anything with worms needs to be culled as it will infect the others if not already infected.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
watch for white spots on the fish, worms out the fish or attacked to the fish, shrimp watch for worms in any of them. anything with worms needs to be culled as it will infect the others if not already infected.
Okay thank you! Hopefully on the ghost shrimp the worms will be easy to spot since clear. How many White Clouds and Ghost Shrimp would u think would be suitable? My tank is over filtered with a 55 gallon sponge filter and a aqua clear 20. I’ll also pick up some more decor so they have more places to hide.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
What size in the tank again?

Okay thank you! Hopefully on the ghost shrimp the worms will be easy to spot since clear. How many White Clouds and Ghost Shrimp would u think would be suitable? My tank is over filtered with a 55 gallon sponge filter and a aqua clear 20. I’ll also pick up some more decor so they have more places to hide.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Yes White Clouds prefer to stay near the surface

Combined I wouldn't add more than 20-30 in whatever mix you want to do but you could always keep some quarantining for the rotation as she will eat them lolol

20 gallon long. I’ve heard White Clouds stay near the top, so hopefully her snagging all of them won’t be an issue since she spends 99% on the floor.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Yes White Clouds prefer to stay near the surface

Combined I wouldn't add more than 20-30 in whatever mix you want to do but you could always keep some quarantining for the rotation as she will eat them lolol
Okay, ill probably add a few more shrimp than white clouds, waste control lol. Probably like an 8 to 12 ratio. I found my axolotl does this thing where she begs, and I’ll offer her a worm, and she’ll run away from it😂😂 she only eats towards the end of the day, but begs all day and won’t eat😂😂

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!