Quarantining

ThoseNewtsTho

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aaron
I just got a new CB Leucistic Pleurodeles waltl, and in the 20 minutes I have had it, its eaten an a little piece of an earthworm(1" long) and is currently eating some bloodworms, I was wondering how long I would have to quarantine it so later I can put it in with the CB waltl(from Michael). The leucistic one was kept in a fully aquatic 10 gallon aquarium with a sponge filter before I got it with only a few other P. waltl. It is currently eating bloodworms as well as trying to eat its own reflection and is swimming all over the place, lol. any advice would be great :p Water temp of the main waltl tank is around 62F.
Thanks, Aaron.

Last edited:

ThoseNewtsTho

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aaron
I would advise a good month. I made the mistake of not doing this once and bitterly regret it as I lost a group of tiger salamanders.
This article is excellent :- Caudata Culture Articles - Quarantine and Disinfection
Thanks, I was just wondering cuz the newt was there for 2 months, cuz I had my eye on it for a while, until I got the money, and I did so lol And I didn't want anything bad happening lol. Im pretty sure it just ate its body weight in worms lol its got personality lol
Oh and can I use like brown papertowel on the bottom of the tank(aquatic tank) because its a plastic tank and hes trying to eat his reflection xD I also have plain white if I have to use white papertowel lol

Last edited:

ThoseNewtsTho

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Aaron
Pics of its quarantine tank, the actual ribbed newt tank, and pics of it. Its about 5" in length, any idea on what sex it it?

Attachments

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ShawnJPN:
    Lol
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Hey all I’m looking for some help.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    How do I create a thread?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Binditheaxolotl:
    LYes? It might be easier if u posted a thread
    +1
    Unlike
  • Isoldelopez:
    Yes, how can I do this? Is it by creating a room? Thank you for your help
    +1
    Unlike
  • Mark.H:
    Hey guys, I suppose this is a foolish question, but will my long-toed salamanders over-eat resulting in obesity?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Kwags:
    what are thoughts on using crushed coral or tufa rocks for resining the ph level in my tank? I have the seachem ph alert and it’s reading 5.4
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    meowzilla has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Delaney:
    Hi, I really need some advice about cloudy water in my axlotl tank!
    +2
    Unlike
  • AnimeDan:
    Hi Delaney. Can you be more specific? There are lots of reasons for cloudy water, such as substrate getting kicked up, water hardness, etc. if you don’t have hard water and it doesn’t settle then I’d do a water change and see if that helps.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Caramello:
    Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... I have seperate him and moved him to his own enclosure so he can get better hopefully but I don't have a filter in this specific enclosure. Please can you guys advise if I need to get him one or whether I can leave it? I have read a lot of articles that say they prefer still water and I can change his water frequently keeping it clean. Please advise 😊
    +1
    Unlike
    Caramello: Hey guys... Hope you all keeping well... I have 4 fire belly newts and one looks very bloated... +1