Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about African dwarf frogs

kitkat

Reaction score
When I was in th epet store to get some feeder fish and crickets, there was a gal who was giving away two of these little guys in an enclosed envirionment. It was from some scam at the local mall- comes in a plastic box with a snail and a bamboo- and younever have to do anything to care for it (hahaha, right) So she gave them to us as long as we could give them a good home. They have tehir own 5 gallon and we put a couple feeder guppies in there.

These little frogs are eating guppies almost as big as them! Is this normal? Should we stick to pellets and not give them the option of fresh fish or is it a good idea to keep themsupplied with guppies?

jclee

Reaction score
They'll eat anything (though they're near blind, which often interferes with their hunting skills). If you're breeding the guppies yourself, I'd say it's safe enough, as long as the frogs can catch enough to stay plump. If you're buying the feeders from petstores, just remember that chytrid fungus stays active in water without an amphibian host for ~7 weeks. If the fish, or any of their decor or water, came into contact with chytrid, and you introduced them to your frogs, you would infect them. (Another option is to quarantine incoming guppies in a breeder tank for a minimum of 7 weeks in order to establish a breeding colony, if you just love seeing the ADFs chow down on guppy.)

Tappers

Reaction score
They sure sound ravenous for ADFs - check that they're Hymenochirus because that sounds more like Xenopus behaviour to me. If they're Xenopus, they won't be 'dwarf frogs' for long!

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Dwarf African frogs have a rough toad like skin. Xenopus will be very smooth and move very fast compared to Dwarf frogs. Stick to pellets it cheaper and much easier. And just fine for them. I used to feed them any siinking pellet food I could find on sale. And just supplement there feeding with guppies once a month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!