Question: Question about salamander tadpoles.

CrestedTern

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey all! I'm new here and I've got a quick question.

I recently got a clump of salamander eggs and they've hatched now and I'm trying to find something to feed them...
Any suggestions?

I've heard that I could feed them baby brine shrimp but is there anything else they'll eat??

Thanks for the suggestions!!

CrestedTern

They will eat bbs, microworms, or daphnia. You should have figured that out long before they hatched though...

I agree that you should have been better prepared to feed your larvae. The food BC suggested are good choices, I would add chopped blackworms to that list.

For the first couple days after they hatch, you won't have to feed them because they'll be feeding off of their yolk sack. Caudata Culture has some artciles on raising larvae.

Another suggestion I thought I'd throw in is mosquito larvae. They can be readily found in most areas of still water and I've found that they are readily accepted. There is some useful information on the topic in the live foods section of the forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back