Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question About Worm Species

Nioa

Reaction score
Winter is coming soon so I'm trying to figure out how to set up a worm culture. I've gathered a bunch of worms from outside, but I'm not sure what species they are or if they're easy to breed. Has anyone had success starting a culture from worms found outside? Or should I purchase a well known species like red wigglers?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are the worms gray or red in color? If you can find red worms, the kind that live in leaf litter (not underground), then you may be able to culture them. Otherwise, you'd need to buy a starter culture.

dano

Reaction score
I would go ahead and buy some red wigglers. Dug worms(outdoor worms) do not multiply as fast.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Worms are pretty inexpensive to buy. For 30$ you can get 400 European nightcrawlers. I imagine the redworms are even cheaper. Price may vary based on what country you are in, but I think as a general rule it's going to be an inexpensive investment to make sure you get the right kind for your worm farm.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!