Question?

axolover703

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
OpalAxies
So I have one axolotl named Andrew. I don't know how old he was when I got him, but he's old enough that I can for sure tell his sex, and he's about 4 inches long. I plan to get another axolotl eventually. So I have a couple questions. First off, how big/old does Andrew have to be before he's okay to socialize with other axolotls? And how long will it take for him to be that size? Thank you for reading!!

As long as you are able to get a male axolotl close to the same size as Andrew (wouldn't go more than 25% larger), you should be fine! To be extra cautious, you could put a tank divider between the two when they are first introduced to get them used to one another.

As far as Andrew's growth, it depends how often you are feeding and genetic potential. IME I do have some axolotls that are just smaller than the others. No difference in care, they just are smaller.

Thanks for the quick reply! I keep Andrew in a 10 gallon tank and feed him bloodworms every other day. He's currently about 4 inches long, so would he be safe to socialize with another axie as long as it's the same size as him? Thanks :D

Yes, as long as they are close in size it should be okay. You'll need to upgrade them to at least a 20 long before they grow too big though, the standard size is at least 10 gallons per axolotl, but some people like to give them more space than that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back