Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questionable Spanish Ribbed Newt behavior

endersblade

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So about 4-5 months or so ago, I got two SRNs, both about 2 inches long, still babies. I put them in a 10 gal with 3 African Dwarf Frogs. Fed them on a diet of blood and tubefex. Both of the newts seemed to grow up quickly. About 2ish months in, one of them started really fattening up, lost the gills, and has turned into a nice fat little sausage! The other, however, took another month to drop the gills, is still rail thin (well, I guess as healthy as a normal looking newt, but being a SRN I expect it to be FAT), and lately has been spending a lot of time just floating at the surface of the tank.

The fatter, healthier looking SRN has been moved to the 40 gal breeder I have for them. It's about 6 1/2 inches long at this point. The other is maybe 4, 5 at the most, and skinny. It eats about every other time I feed the tank. I don't notice anything physically wrong with it, the frogs leave it alone so I don't think it's being bullied or anything, and the fact that it's just floating at the surface and not hiding makes me think it isn't stress related. It goes up for air as needed, it will swim away rapidly if I try to touch it, but will eventually go back to floating at the surface.

Is there anything I can do, or need to do, to get this little guy healthier and as big as the other so I can move it to the larger tank? I do weekly water cycles, I test water conditions once a month, always good, I dechlorinate the water before putting it in the tank, I dose with liquid CO2 for the plants and have been doing so since before the newts were put in. No visible damage to the newt, as in the frogs haven't been nipping at it or anything. All fingers and toes accounted for. Even when it's on the bottom of the tank the frogs just ignore it. The tank care routine has not changed at all since before they showed up, so I don't think it's anything I'm doing or not doing to the water. But I'm no expert. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

endersblade

Reaction score
Now it has a different issue. I moved it to the big tank with the other newt. It has finally returned to the bottom of the tank, but it doesn't seem capable of...staying upright. It lays on its side, it swims upside down. It's still not eating. The poor thing is rail thin lethargic.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I can't be of any help. Maybe it's worth taking it to the vet? Good luck.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Try different foods and more nutritious foods. Try chopped earthworms, salmon pellets, or cichlid pellets for more nutritious foods. Try daphnia for food it can chase for smaller ribbed newts.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1