Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions and help: New axie owner (to be)

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
A9A85E8D-91CB-400A-948F-C40CA530635F.jpeg

I got the tank today (still need a lid) as well as a few other things I thought was necessary, luckily my parents had some extra decorations so that saved me a few bucks—however I do need to clean this all to ensure no other bacteria is on it.

This is a 20gal tank, and the fake bonsai w/ pot does have some rocks—but they’re glued on, and the other plants are also fake so I can keep the tank low lit (only light source is from my lamp when its night and in the day my window is closed but allows natural light to come in). Below the tank I have some jars (for feeding and water changes) the Aqua Clear filter inserts, some Seachem Prime for dechlorination, some Turbo Start bacteria (again I’ve been told here this wasn’t a to go method for the cyling bacteria) the thermometer, siphon, some water tests (tho I need the API Master Kit as I’ve been told) and some extra driftwood.

Of course, my only challenge now after getting a few more stuff (like the master water kit, tongs, stability, etc -,3,-) and of course...the necessary cycling materials. After that I need to look for the lil thing...but my biggest qualm and anxiety right now is the cycling. I’ve already asked, and I watched some videos but I’m really anxious overall on what to get cause I keep getting what I think is good but then am told it’s not? I’m a bit stressed about it and I know its a whole process, so if anyone can offer any tips that would be helpful, I just wanna know what to do before putting anything in total danger.

ellarose

Reaction score
You’re doing great! A lot of owners are not so informed and throw their little guys in tanks with no preparation. Cycling can be done with no extra materials than what you have if you don’t mind it taking quiet a while. I would highly recommend that you get the API test kit, or else you won’t know when your tank is cycled.

I’m sure you know the basics of the nitrogen cycle, but just to recap:
The axie will produce ammonia in its poop. Ammonia is toxic to them.
Bacteria that lives on surfaces in the tank eats the ammonia and spits out nitrites. Nitrites are also toxic to axies.
Another type of bacteria eats the nitrites and spits out nitrates, which are safe in low doses and can be removed with water changes (I would recommend weekly 30-40% changes).
Cycling is the act of establishing these helpful bacteria, so all you need to get the cycle started is dechlorinated water, a tank, a filter, and ammonia. I usually source my ammonia from fish flakes or pellets. If you let the food sit in the tank, it will produce ammonia as it decomposes. The bacteria will eventually grow on its own. If you don’t want to wait for this, I’ve had great success with Seachem Stability. It basically just contains colonies of this bacteria so you don’t have to wait for them to pop up of their own accord. I would discontinue use of it as the cycle stabilizes so that you are not adding in anything extra just before or while your axie is in the tank.

The way you know your tank is cycled all depends on that API test kit. It will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. At first, you’ll see an ammonia spike with no nitrite or nitrate, then you’ll see the ammonia go down and nitrites go up. Eventually, you will have no ammonia, no nitrites, but a small-ish amount of nitrates even if you continue to add ammonia. Then you know your tank is cycled and ready for your new addition to the family! :)

Sorry for the long read, but I hope this answers all your questions.

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I’ll see to it that I get those after washing, as for the water changes, all I gotta do is use the siphon I heard? to add new water I just use some tap with prime and then pour it back in through the jar?

You’re doing great! A lot of owners are not so informed and throw their little guys in tanks with no preparation. Cycling can be done with no extra materials than what you have if you don’t mind it taking quiet a while. I would highly recommend that you get the API test kit, or else you won’t know when your tank is cycled.

I’m sure you know the basics of the nitrogen cycle, but just to recap:
The axie will produce ammonia in its poop. Ammonia is toxic to them.
Bacteria that lives on surfaces in the tank eats the ammonia and spits out nitrites. Nitrites are also toxic to axies.
Another type of bacteria eats the nitrites and spits out nitrates, which are safe in low doses and can be removed with water changes (I would recommend weekly 30-40% changes).
Cycling is the act of establishing these helpful bacteria, so all you need to get the cycle started is dechlorinated water, a tank, a filter, and ammonia. I usually source my ammonia from fish flakes or pellets. If you let the food sit in the tank, it will produce ammonia as it decomposes. The bacteria will eventually grow on its own. If you don’t want to wait for this, I’ve had great success with Seachem Stability. It basically just contains colonies of this bacteria so you don’t have to wait for them to pop up of their own accord. I would discontinue use of it as the cycle stabilizes so that you are not adding in anything extra just before or while your axie is in the tank.

The way you know your tank is cycled all depends on that API test kit. It will allow you to test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. At first, you’ll see an ammonia spike with no nitrite or nitrate, then you’ll see the ammonia go down and nitrites go up. Eventually, you will have no ammonia, no nitrites, but a small-ish amount of nitrates even if you continue to add ammonia. Then you know your tank is cycled and ready for your new addition to the family! :)

Sorry for the long read, but I hope this answers all your questions.

ellarose

Reaction score
Thank you so much, I’ll see to it that I get those after washing, as for the water changes, all I gotta do is use the siphon I heard? to add new water I just use some tap with prime and then pour it back in through the jar?
Yep! The syphon will also be good for removing any waste you see from the axolotl.

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
I have fish food for ammonia source and stability in the fridge, is that ok? I just need to get the substrate today and I can start—but is fish food ok cause I could never get ahold of liquid ammonia or a heater

Cycling is a step by step process at the same time everyday - It seems super intimidating but as long as you go step by step you are okay.

CYCLING HANDOUT

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Personally, no fish food will never get you to the ammonia concentration you need.

Amazon has the ammonias you need

Amazon.com : Alpha Chemicals Ammonium Chloride - NH4Cl - 1 Pound : Bulk Animal Food : Garden & Outdoor

Amazon.com : AniMed Powder 99.9-Percent Ammonium Chloride for Horses Dogs Cats Cows Sheep and Goats, 2.5-Pound : Pet Supplies

or go to the hardware store and get pure cleaning ammonia. No scents, no colors and no surfactants i.e. you shake it and no bubbles

I have fish food for ammonia source and stability in the fridge, is that ok? I just need to get the substrate today and I can start—but is fish food ok cause I could never get ahold of liquid ammonia or a heater

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
Ok I’ll head to one while getting the sand, do I need a heater?

Personally, no fish food will never get you to the ammonia concentration you need.

Amazon has the ammonias you need

Amazon.com : Alpha Chemicals Ammonium Chloride - NH4Cl - 1 Pound : Bulk Animal Food : Garden & Outdoor

Amazon.com : AniMed Powder 99.9-Percent Ammonium Chloride for Horses Dogs Cats Cows Sheep and Goats, 2.5-Pound : Pet Supplies

or go to the hardware store and get pure cleaning ammonia. No scents, no colors and no surfactants i.e. you shake it and no bubbles

ChocoUniversa

Reaction score
image.jpg

I got some sand from Petco and began filling the tank with water, its a bit gunky but my dad said it should clear up...and I got some smooth, big stones from outside to weigh down the center piece (they have some dirt, and they’re big enough to avoid being swallowed), and have some fake plants in there—I need to wait before putting in the ammonia tho

Again, for now when the water clears I’m gonna try the fish food method, but if that doesn’t work the first one you recommended to me should come soon—I was unable to find, pure unscented ammonia (that wasn’t lemon scented) or that did not have bubbles upon shaking

You dont NEED a heater just dont cool the tank in any way. The bacteria populates faster in tropical water

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1