Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Questions from a first time owner

Carrots

Reaction score
I recently got my first Axolotl and I'm absolutely enamored with these goofballs. I love my little golden fireball, but I have some concerns about his behavior.

To give a bit of background, I adopted a 6-7" golden albino Axolotl from a friend of a friend about a month ago. The owner was very knowledgeable and took good care of him, but my gold really didn't get along with his adult wild type. To be more specific, they constantly fought until one day my gold managed to rip all of the wild type's legs off. I was told that he's just naturally a jerk, and that I shouldn't put other Axolotls with him. I chalked it up to the different sizes and went ahead anyway because the price was good, Axolotls are really cute, and I figured there weren't many people who would take him in.

I thought if I gave him time he would mellow out, but he's still really aggressive. His water parameters aren't perfect because I had to replace the filter last week, but I've been trying to keep the tank clean and help it cycle again smoothly. The 20G tank is in an area of low light, the water is crystal clear, I've switched him to earthworms this week and feed him 2-5 red worms a day, and he's not physically showing any signs of stress. He still bites literally everything in his tank and constantly nips at me whenever I put so much as a finger in the water. He's even snapped at me from behind the glass. Obviously he can't really harm me, but I was pretty set on having more than one Axolotl. More importantly, I think the fake log decoration I have in there will cut him up if he keeps snapping at it.

Is this behavior reasonably normal? Will it subside? Can an Axolotl be inherently aggressive, or conditioned to be aggressive? Can I ever safely introduce a new Axolotl?

RG

Reaction score
Do you give food until he stops eating?
Axo of this length want to grow and biting at everything that’s moves.
Some animals are more aggressive than others.
Aggressive behavior usually stops when they are fully grown.

I do not know much. ask others for their opinion

Carrots

Reaction score
Yes, and no. In fact, I think that was the problem and I spoke too soon.

When I fed him bloodworms I gave him three cubes a day because I didn't think he could actually eat that much and I had to make them last. When I fed him red worms I gave him as many as he was willing to eat. He wasn't all that skinny, but he definitely gained some mass after eating the earthworms. Over night he mellowed out drastically out of the blue. His gills are fine and he's still somewhat active, but he refused to eat today and didn't even bite me when I nudged him. I don't know how much his previous owner fed him or what really caused the fighting over there, but it seems like I underfed him. I feel really bad, but I'm definitely not making that mistake again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1