Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising ADF tadpoles

Margie

Reaction score
Two weeks ago a friend gave me some ADF eggs to raise. Today she gave me a new batch of eggs. I thought it might be fun to show the size difference between the 2-week old tadpole and the 1-day old eggs.

Attachments

• 2 week tadpole and new eggs.jpg
    2 week tadpole and new eggs.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 3,947

Margie

Reaction score
Re: Raising african dwarf frog tadpoles

Here's a pair and a close-up of two-week old tadpoles.

Attachments

• pair of tadpoles 2.JPG
    pair of tadpoles 2.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 2,407
  • closeup tadpole 2.JPG
    closeup tadpole 2.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 1,349

mizzerman

Reaction score
Can I ask what you are feeding the tadpoles? Let us know how the rearing goes. I have ADF too but have never seen any eggs, maybe not looking hard enough:happy:. Do you know where they layed the eggs? Surface, bottom, plants. rocks???

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
I heard that ADF are really hard to breed and raise. Awesome to hear that you're raising them though! After I get my axies from Lauren I planned on getting a smaller tank with ADF.

Margie

Reaction score
Can I ask what you are feeding the tadpoles? Let us know how the rearing goes. I have ADF too but have never seen any eggs, maybe not looking hard enough:happy:. Do you know where they layed the eggs? Surface, bottom, plants. rocks???

I'll have to ask where the eggs were laid. I know some were laid near the surface behind a filter stem. And the eggs are really, really small.

As for food, I used mainly infusoria in the beginning but lately I'm using microworms and vinegar eels.

They're 3 weeks old now and I can just see the rear leg buds forming. (I have to use a magnifier to see that much detail.) I'll have to work on getting some new photos showing the leg buds.

Margie

Reaction score
I heard that ADF are really hard to breed and raise. Awesome to hear that you're raising them though! After I get my axies from Lauren I planned on getting a smaller tank with ADF.

From what I've read, getting them to breed isn't too bad, but raising the babies is considered hard. I would tend to agree with that! They're very small and their mouths are small for their size. I've never tried to raise them before, so I'm not quite sure what works best. The numbers have dropped off a lot, but the ones that are left have grown a lot. I'll try to get some updated pictures soon.

Margie

Reaction score
Here are some pictures I thought were interesting. The first shows some eggs with duckweed for scale. If you're not familiar with duckweed, it's less than 1/8" long. The picture actually shows a combination of 2 batches of eggs. The first batch of eggs is only 2 days old. The second batch is 1 day old. The picture shows how much eggs from batch 1 developed in only one day. You can clearly see the tadpole in the older egg!

Attachments

• ADF eggs zoom 1.jpg
    ADF eggs zoom 1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,253
  • ADF eggs zoom 2.jpg
    ADF eggs zoom 2.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 1,023

sde

Reaction score

I doubt they are too hard to breed. ACF and ADF's are common in the pet trade, and a lot of them are albino, and non-natural colors, so they aren't WC. That means that they are CB, and if they were too hard to breed they wouldn't be so popular in the pet trade. Though it must take some effort. Great job Margie! Congrats! And keep us updated, i love seeing the development. -Seth

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
Wow, that's a ton of growth for such a short period of time! By the way, will you be selling any of the babies once they're older, Margie? I'd rather get healthy ones from you than go to walmart and buy potentially sick ones.

What does WC and CB mean? I'm not too familiar with that :confused: My guess is wild caught and captive bred?

Margie

Reaction score

I asked where the eggs were laid and here's the answer:

"The eggs were actually on the surface of the water floating mostly, but a lot of them were on the glass and on the filter, but these were actually above the waterline."

Margie

Reaction score
Wow, that's a ton of growth for such a short period of time! By the way, will you be selling any of the babies once they're older, Margie? I'd rather get healthy ones from you than go to walmart and buy potentially sick ones.

What does WC and CB mean? I'm not too familiar with that :confused: My guess is wild caught and captive bred?

You got it on WC and CB!

I'll let you know if I end up selling some of these guys.

Margie

Reaction score
Another tadpole update!

They're starting to get rear legs. We tried to get pictures of the leg buds, but couldn't get it in focus very well. Plus he kept moving, so one picture turned out to be a face view. It was accidental, but I think it's cool.

The second picture in particular is blurry, but it also shows the rear leg buds better. The legs have two segments, so I assume that means the knee is forming.

Attachments

• tadpole leg buds.JPG
    tadpole leg buds.JPG
    262.4 KB · Views: 1,908
  • tadpole xray.JPG
    tadpole xray.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 821
  • tadpole face view 2.JPG
    tadpole face view 2.JPG
    256.3 KB · Views: 807
  • tadpole face view.jpg
    tadpole face view.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,911

Margie

Reaction score
Another curiosity is how different the growth rates are for individuals in the same spawn. I pulled out the largest and the smallest and we took pictures of them together for comparison. Kind of shocking how different they are.

Attachments

• tadpole mutt and jeff.jpg
    tadpole mutt and jeff.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 886

Margie

Reaction score
These guys are 33 days old today. The largest has front legs coming in.

Attachments

• tadpole front legs.JPG
    tadpole front legs.JPG
    214.8 KB · Views: 11,563
  • tadpole front legs 2.JPG
    tadpole front legs 2.JPG
    345.3 KB · Views: 9,927

Margie

Reaction score
They're much cuter in person. I do think those close-ups are faces only a mother could love! In person you just see the dark body with cute little legs paddling around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!