Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising Daphnia from eggs

onecrazyredhead

Reaction score
Anyone try raising daphnia from eggs?? I bought a pack of daphnia eggs and poured 1/8 of package in 2 plastic container from green pond water that has sat inside for a week with temperatures around 68 to 70 degrees in front of window and eggs has been in water for 1 1/2 weeks and no daphnia. Also me being impatient I poured another 1/8 package of daphnia eggs in into fish tank that has maintained a lot of light and 68 degrees those eggs been sitting in water for 3 days and nothing? What am I doing wrong??

Reaction score
Hi I didn't raise eggs direct but a friend sent a pack of daphnia that arrived dead. I kept them cool but in rain water for around two weeks and then looked and saw clouds of small daphnia swimming about they. They went on to breed and form the colonies I have now. Se perhaps some more patience?
Regards KB

caleb

Reaction score
I raised Daphnia from eggs/ephippia last year.

I read that they're more likely to hatch after a period of cold and darkness, so I put them in a small jar of water inside a sealed metal box, and put this in the fridge for a couple of weeks.

After bringing them out, it took about a week for the first ones to hatch.

onecrazyredhead

Reaction score
Only about 10 hatched out of whole pack, they have multiples once already with green pond water in container. Anyone have the green water settle on bottom of tank??

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1