Raising gH

RogerWilco37

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

We're currently using a commercial product to raise the gH (and kH) in the tank, but we'd like to switch to something we mix ourselves.
We've looked at some of the DIY mixtures (Holtfreter's, etc) but just not sure if they're ok for our situation. I've done some reading and found that the chlorides, while dissolving very easily, aren't very good for plants. So it the only other option to use sulphates, or a mix of the two. And if I mix them, is there going to be an unexpected reaction of some sort?
I also don't like the idea of just adding calcium and magnesium and being done with it, I feel there should be more than just that.
Our tap water has a GH of about 4, KH of 2 and pH of 7.4. Is there any chance of adding too much of one thing?

Thank you for your help

the main issue with plants are solutions that contain salt (sodium chloride) although it is the most beneficial chemical to add when it comes to axolotls, the potassium chloride levels in holtfreters is quite low with the potassium being beneficial to plants, calcium chloride is used as plant food and lawn feed so should be ok, adding magnesium sulphate will also benefit plants.
using 50% holtfreters with 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate will provide all the salts and minerals that are required for axolotls, the solution can be made without the sodium chloride but it won't be as beneficial or protective as with.

the main issue with plants are solutions that contain salt (sodium chloride) although it is the most beneficial chemical to add when it comes to axolotls, the potassium chloride levels in holtfreters is quite low with the potassium being beneficial to plants, calcium chloride is used as plant food and lawn feed so should be ok, adding magnesium sulphate will also benefit plants.
using 50% holtfreters with 0.1g/l magnesium sulphate will provide all the salts and minerals that are required for axolotls, the solution can be made without the sodium chloride but it won't be as beneficial or protective as with.
Thank you so much @wolfen. I didn't realise that the sodium chloride was to protect the Axolotls, makes sense though.
Re the sodium bicarbonate, do you know if it's ok to replace that amount with the amount we need to raise the KH enough, or should we keep that plus add something else to raise KH? (sounds like a dumb question when I re read it, but still want to get it right).
Thank you for your help.

if the amount of bicarbonate of soda in holtfreters isn't enough to bring the kh up to the required level then it can be increased.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back