Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising T. Marms. from eggs....

C

chris

thanks for the heads up charles. jen also told me about that place some time ago. i finally found out they had the worms i could use.

(Message edited by chris_dishmon on March 03, 2007)

J

joseph

Great photos! I am also at this stage with some marms(from Garrison). The funny thing is that they hatched during shipment so all I've done is pour some 20 or so(!) larvae into a rearing container.

C

chris

don't be afraid to post up some pics.
biggrin.gif

ravenous

Reaction score
Hows the raising going? Have you had any slip ups or is everything going as planned?

C

chris

great actually. still got 6 and most have spots on their tails now. they also still have their front legs but no backs. when they get the rears and grow a lil more they are going into the other 10 gallon that has a lot more stuff in it and then the 55 gallon. whew!

R

richard

Hope for the best chris. Its looking pretty good so far. That is a funny pic, as it seems the bloodworm is about 1/3 of his actual length lol

C

chris

one passed away today not sure why but he was one of the smallest of the bunch. maybe he didn't eat.

C

chris

here is a good pic of 3 of them at feeding time. as you can see they have black/blue spots on thier tails and some have small rear legs and are starting to swim more like a newt.

81144.jpg

C

chris

it seems i have 4 big ones and one smally. i looked at his stomach and saw no food but his buddys were fat as hell. so i isolated him and imma keep an eye on him.....feed him seperatly for now.

(Message edited by chris_dishmon on March 30, 2007)

C

chris

since they got rear leggs now i moved the four to a deeper tank with a submerged piece of wood with java moss growing on it, some elodea(gonna get more today) and a low powered air pump. the other one is still isolated and being fed well so he can catch up to the others.

81290.jpg

81291.jpg

C

chris

i hope everone doesn't mind me posting up so many pics. i just like to look at newts and figured everyone else wants to.
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1