Question: Raising young in a tank

thadious

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Todd
Hi everyone, I want to say first off, I enjoy reading all your threads and post. You all are very helpful. With that being said here is my question or poll. I am raising young from eggs but now that they are almost an inch long I wonder if I could put them into a small aquarium say a 10 gallon, I was thinking of running a small filter but putting a sponge or very fine net around the pick up of the filter. Right now I have them all in tupperware containers but doing container and water chances twice a day can get overbearing by myself when I work third shift. I really would like to see how others do their young, wether its in tupperware or other container. No information is bad info when learning a new thing. Thanks for your info

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

Hey there! :D

First off, welcome to the forum. I am a newish member and everyone has been great with answering questions, etc. :eek:

I have mine in Tupperware containers, and they are all doing well. I have the 2 biggest separated out and the other 6 are paired up according to size. My biggest axie baby is 2 1/2 inches, the smallest is 1 1/4 inches.

I only do a water change once a day, partial one day, full change the next. So maybe that would help as far as work load. :eek:

I raised some eggs (most hatched over night) as well as some juveniles.

Hopefully you can visit this link (it's my local fish forum site that I updated while raising my little ones :) ) - i"m pretty sure it's accessible to guests!

Raising Axolotls blog!

I wish I could get my 13 year old son interested in it too but all he likes is video games lol. Thanks for the input

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

heyalls! i've raised a couple of baby marbled newt larva and hatched some native MD salamander larvae. I don't think this counts, but I've hatched and raied contless tadpoles in a tank. :grin:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back