ready to leave terrestrial phase

Tangled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm sure it's on the forum somewhere and I'm not using the right search terms but... How do you know when baby/juvenile newts are ready to leave land and become aquatic? I have juvenile Neurergus crocatus and Triturus marmoratus.

I can only speak to the marmoratus, and this may not be the answer you’re looking for. I keep them terrestrial in the summer and fall, and aquatic in the winter and early spring, for breeding only.
I know when the adults are ready to go in the water when they begin spending much of their time in the water dish.

I can only speak to the marmoratus, and this may not be the answer you’re looking for. I keep them terrestrial in the summer and fall, and aquatic in the winter and early spring, for breeding only.
I know when the adults are ready to go in the water when they begin spending much of their time in the water dish.
Have you raised your babies until they become aquatic? Is it the same deal, that if they're swinming in the dish most of the time, they're ready?

I have raised them to adulthood, but as I said, I don’t keep them aquatic, except for breeding. In the wild, this is usually a terrestrial species- they don’t “become aquatic” in the way that I think you are inferring.
If you want to keep them aquatic year round, my suggestion is to wait until they are full grown, or nearly so, and start them off in shallow water, and gradually increase the water depth. They should have lots of plants for hiding and resting on.

I they don’t “become aquatic” in the way that I think you are inferring.
You're correct. I was thinking they were aquatic except for their brumation on land before breeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back