Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Really Finicky Eaters (Salamandra Salamandra)

firesalamander1

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if any of you know any tips on how to get really finicky eaters to eat anything other than crickets. They seem to be addicted to crickets because of their movement. They are in a wine cooler so it is kind of difficult to feed them earthworms, as when I open their cooler and their tub they are disturbed and refuse to eat(probably from the rapid light changes). It is easy to just drop a few crickets in there, leave them, and it is easy for them to find the crickets later because the crickets constantly move around their tub. If i drop worms in the tub and close the door, they usually end up under the paper towels before they can get to them, and they are too disturbed to want to eat them. Besides, they don't seem to interested in them anyway. they do take superworms on occasion. Suggestions?

adler0

Reaction score
I have the same problem. My fire salamander only eats crickets too. I've tried to feed it just about everything under the sun and it will only go for crickets. I've since given up trying new foods with it and just feed it powered crickets. Here is a list of everything I've tried to feed it without success...

Earthworms
Black worms
White worms
Tomato horn worms
Wax worms
Roaches
Frozen blood worms (haha)

BwKilcoyne

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my tiger salamanders. I've tried calciworms, superworms, giant mealworms, waxworms, earthworms, frozen bloodworms abd the only thing they like are crickets.

sde

Reaction score
It sounds like you have a simple paper towel setup from how you said
they usually end up under the paper towels before they can get to them
If this is the case then I would suggest changing their setup.

A setup with a bit of dirt - topsoil ( make sure it has no manure or peat moss ), leaf litter and moss, as well as some hides, makes for a good setup. My setup is just that, minus the topsoil ( I used soil from the woods behind my house, it should be pesticide /chemical free ) and the moss ( I have a lot of surface leaves instead ). I have had no feeding problems in a setup like this. It is also low light so the light isn't disturbing. I feed them earthworms from tongs, and throw in woodlice that they can find and eat. -Seth

otolith

Reaction score
I kept salamandra in a similar set up to Seth. Mine were super active and would come out whenever the lid from their tank was moved. I primarily fed them worms, slugs, wood lice and the occasional grasshopper. They only refused food when aestivating during the summer. Try changing to a more naturalistic set up and they will very likely become better feeders.

pwoodhouse

Reaction score
I used to find my fire salamanders went mental for any house spiders I would catch for them, if they knew there was a spider in there the hunting grunts got quite loud...

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Mine primarily eat crickets also. I have had them take a baby Canada nightcrawler and a roach, though. The problem with the roaches is they hide in the substrate and rarely come out, but if you tong feed I believe you might have some success. I am breeding the giant orange isopods now to see if they will take them. I was reading something kind of scary though, that one cricket range (Bassets) were selling something called super crickets aka crazy red crickets. Apparently these are a different species that are known to attack reptiles, I don't know if they are still being sold, but look up the pictures just to make sure you don't get any of those. My crickets come from timberline and I believe they are the classic model.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
Don't give up, I finally had a fire salamander walk past a cricket and take a waxworm today! Mine seem to be a little healthier overall after treating for parasites.

sde

Reaction score
Forgot to ask where you guys got your fire salamanders, all mine are the Ukranian wild caught ones.

I got CB F2 S. s. terrestris juveniles from a reptile expo. The original ones ( the my juveniles "grandparents" ) were originally collected from the Czech Republic, according to the seller.

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
I kept salamandra in a similar set up to Seth. Mine were super active and would come out whenever the lid from their tank was moved. I primarily fed them worms, slugs, wood lice and the occasional grasshopper. They only refused food when aestivating during the summer. Try changing to a more naturalistic set up and they will very likely become better feeders.

This is very true. Change their setup and let them acclimate. Then start a feeding schedule or routine.

Salamandra are well known for associating food with people/keeper. When mine see me they assume I'm about to feed them and they come begging. Especially when I open the lid they actually jump at me.

Sometimes I notice they have an issue eating worms or grabbing onto worms, I use forceps/hemos or hand feed. I try not to hand though. Also using forceps/hemos lets you individually feed your salamanders. You actually get to see how much each ones eats and can control who gets to eat.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!