Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Recommended Newts for Tank Size

kcoscia

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I was wondering, what kind of newts/salamanders, if any, could be housed in a 5 gallon tank?

I really like the look of Alpine Newts. How many gallons to they require?

Note: I am an experienced aquarist and can maintain proper water chemistry in small aquariums.

sde

Reaction score
Five gallons just isn't suitable for any amphibians excepts for larvae and juveniles in my opinion. I keep some fire salamanders in a one gallon tub, but this is terrestrial ( no water troubles ) and is only temporary.
The smallest recommended tank size for aquatic amphibians is 10 gallons. It would be possible I suppose to keep M. alpestris ( Alpine newts ) in a 5 gallon tank if you only wanted one. But I really wouldn't advise it. It would be quite cramped and would be quite hard to maintain the water quality and temperature.

I personally would do a 20 gallon, because then you could have 4 or 5 and it would be much easier to maintain water quality and temperature, give them more room, and provide a good planted tank.

Here is a great care sheet for this species. Caudata Culture Species Entry - Mesotriton (Triturus) alpestris

Other species that you could maybe keep in a 5 gallon tank include H. orientalis, C. cyanurus, and pretty much most juveniles species of newt and salamander, until they got bigger of course. But like I said, I wouldn't recommend it. And also terrestrial is easier to maintain in small tanks that aquatic.

Hope this helps. -Seth

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Seth, although I do realise that it is perfectly possible to maintain proper temperature and chemistry in a five gallon tank. The thing is, by expecting most newts to remain aquatic for the whole year you are expecting them to go against their instinct to leave the water and disperse so conditions must be optimal in every way. By trying to keep them in such a small tank their stress levels will start to rise and you will most likely end up with miserable newts that either sit on their island all the time, or are constantly trying to escape. A well thought out ten gallon tank would provide them with a big enough home range to be content with and hopefully choose to remain aquatic instead of leaving the water.
This is purely my opinion though, and I could be wrong. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the subject.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1