Red Back And Blue Spotted Salamanders

J

jonathan

My Brother just got like red backed and 2 blue spotted salamander's. We have a great living space for them, i set up a Outdoor woodsy theme aquarium and they seem to be doing fine eating baby crickets and Newt pellets. But i was wondering if anyone had any special tips on raising these or knows of something different to feed them? Or even what the surroundings should be to encourage breeding because according to one of my books their mating season is coming up.

To raise them, SEPERATE THEM. DO NOT put them in the same tank. Do not mix species (the blue spotteds in one tank, the red backed in another). Blue-Spotteds probably wont breed, as most Ambystomids do not breed readily in captivity. Feed them crickets and worms, especially earthworms.

Okay thanks, Luckily i didnt sell my other tank yet. Ill get to seperating them ASAP

Great! You're already doing better than a lot of people who come here!

LoL thanks, oh hey your from michigan too? Where abouts in michigan?

(Message edited by jsakon on August 29, 2004)

Im Within the Tri Citys, But yea what kinda salamanders or newts you got? Best i can find around this area is blue spotted and red backed.

(Message edited by jsakon on August 29, 2004)

I've got Ambystoma jeffersonianum, Axolotls, and Triturus karelinii. I've found blue-spotteds, but I don't collect them.

I deleted posts here by Robbos and Kaysie. Even if the person mentioned is willing to have his e-mail address posted, and even if he is willing to ship animals from Europe to the US, I don't think he wants either of these pieces of information discussed on a public forum.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back