Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red bellied newt skin abrasion treatment?

hanneesweedie

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for advice. My dad has a red bellied newt, it had escaped its enclosure (not to our knowledge), we found it by chance a couple of days ago. We’re not entirely sure how long it had been out, but no longer than 7 days (last feed before escape). It was very dry, initially I put it back in the water. However, it was just floating vertically and did not seem to be in a good way so I placed it on a rock and put some water on it. The next day I soaked it in a reptile electrolyte solution (probably not ideal, but all we had), it seemed to revive it a little and it was trying to swim in the tank I was soaking it in. I returned it to its own tank and then soaked again a few hours later. The morning after, it had made its own way into the water, where it has stayed since. It doesn’t seem to have eaten any of the bloodworms offered. He seems to be staying in the water with its face out of the water.

I had to remove some carpet from around his legs, I’ve now noticed that he seems to have some sort of abrasion on its torso, it’s white. I’m worried that it could be infected. I’ve read online that fish antibiotics can be used, however, I want to make sure I’m doing the right thing and not causing harm. As he’s staying in the water at the moment, do I need to remove and soak, or could I just treat the water? I’ve read about soaking them in a higher concentration for 15 minutes a day. The product I’ve bought is Nova Plus Waterlife, it contains tea tree. Is that safe to use? Any idea of amount/concentration for soaking or to put directly in the water in his tank?

Help and advice would be greatly appreciated, I want to make sure he’ll be okay? Or at least give him a chance.

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldn't add any chemicals or treatment solution to the tank itself as then the biological filtration will be destroyed as well, and that too will be stressful to the newt. Keep it cold- fridging may not be a bad idea. Be sure to check water quality regularly as the newt will need ideal habitat conditions to recover and to experience as little stress as possible.

If the animal was a good weight before this incident don't be too concerned if its not eating well for several days.

Also, if you haven't already you need to figure out how it escaped so this doesn't happen again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!