Red/Bloody Gill Tips, Constipation, & a nitrate spike

kaynels

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all, hoping to get some advice on my lotl, Preguntas, whose been a bit under the weather the past few days. I'm not a new aquarist but am new to salamanders, and I've been getting very little sleep trying to make sure they'll be okay. I'm not really sure what normal axolotl behavior is, or what I should be concerned about.

My top concerns relate to constipation, they haven't pooped in ~5 days now and seem a little uncomfortable, and within 12 hrs they suddenly developed red/bloody gill filaments at the tips of their gills.

Background: Preguntas is an unsexed 6mo old, 8in long dirty leucistic axolotl who came from a reputable breeder in healthy condition. I've never had any health issues with them before, they've always been a voracious eater and are very active. I spent 3 months doing fishless ammonia cycling for my 29g tank. It is full of live plants and has pothos cuttings + a peace lily for nitrates. Very fine sand substrate, only large rocks, always below 66 degrees. Stocked with ~8 ghost shrimp & 15 red cherry shrimp, no other axolotl. I feed a diet of primarily earthworms, with pellets about 1 every 3 days, and occasional blackworms.

Here's a timetable of what's been going on:

4/4: Last confirmed poop

4/6: Sudden vomiting & lethargy for ~24 hrs. Some slight thrashing & kicking at gills. Tested parameters, nitrate spike!
[7.8, 0, 0, 100] Did a 90% WC to reduce nitrates. After WC, [7.6, .50, 0, 20]. There is some ammonia present in my tap, added extra prime to neutralize.

4/7: Starting to move a little, ate a few pellets but vomited them up after ~3 hrs. Parameters same. Starting to see light signs of constipation. Their cloaca is slightly enlarged and their rear half floats sometimes, but doesn't make them go to the top or seem to stress them out much. They are usually able to keep all 4 feet on the ground but are light on their toes.

4/8: [7.6, .25, .25, 30] Activity levels are much better, they are actively scavenging and caught a RCS. Eager to eat today - I give them 2 pellets and a few small pieces of frozen wild caught salmon to see if the fats could help move their digestion along. Keeps all food down, no vomiting! Back legs often stretched out in constipation stance. Added a new stone to their tank. Skip WC today as to not stress them. Notice some red gill filaments on one gill tip around 2am.

4/9: [7.6, .25, .25, 30] Activity levels great, very responsive and excited to eat. Ate ~2/5 an earthworm and some pellets. But, the red/bloody gill filaments are now on 3 of their gill tips! They aren't scratching at them and don't really seem bothered at all. I remove the rock I added yesterday in case they were rubbing up on it weird or something. I'll be making a 50% WC today.

So my questions are: what is happening with their gills, and do I need to take action beyond a water change? Could it be a residual effect of the nitrate spike? And should I be concerned yet about the constipation - and if not, when should I be? I'd like to save fridging as a last resort. They seem active and not terribly bothered yet, so I'm not ready to jump to that yet.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20210409_184246.jpg
    20210409_184246.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 625
  • 20210409_165134.jpg
    20210409_165134.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 132
Hm, my axolotl had those red ends on one of her gill stalks like 2 months ago. It went away after a week. As for the constipation, I don't know. Mine is also currently giving me a similar issue. She's still active, still actively eating, though I scaled down her food after she puked 2 weeks ago. Mine hasn't pooped in maybe a week or more. I also don't know what to do about that...odd that you're having a similar issue.

Mine didn't have a nitrate spike, I think I just got her over excited but she did cause an ammonia spike when she puked. Did you have that happen at all? Also, the last confirmed bathroom use, was it solid?

The only thing I could think of with the gills, those could either be filaments that are getting too long and going to shed off, which can happen, or they're fresh ones. Like, they had damaged old ones that were replaced. When mine puked, it got all in her gills and burnt a patch of filaments that died and fell off, the new ones she has are a notably more red than the others. I think we're dealing with a similar issue. Why did your axolotl puke? You think the nitrate spike?

The only spike I ever had was a nitrite spike and it was horrifying. SUPER lethargic.

When you say the legs are back in a constipated stance, what do you mean? Do you have a photo? And fridging, when you fridge, how long do you do it for? Has that ever helped with the constipation? I've used it for like 5 minutes at a time to deal with overheating. We have no AC in my area and when I do a water change, I either have to pre-cool the water inside the fridge, or put it in, cool it, and keep her tubbed. I think that was why mine threw up 2 weeks ago. I don't think I cooled her water enough...

Oh and one more thing, I know how stressful this can be for an owner, so please take care of yourself. I've spent many nights not sleeping because of worrying over my little girl.

Thank you for the response! Glad to hear someone had the same gills issue but it resolved quickly.

I didn't have an ammonia spike perse, but my ammonia has always been at 0 except for this past week and the bacteria should've taken care of it by now, so I think that has been contributing. Luckily the shrimp help clean up any stray foods or... vomit 😬

Their poop has usually been kinda dusty, I don't think I've found a solid log in the tank yet. They went into it about 3 weeks ago. (pic of usual poops attached)

I believe they puked because of the nitrate spike, as they perked right back up when I did the big water change! Hard to say for sure, though, they just reached maturity and had been growing like crazy so their metabolism could just be slowing down and I may have overfed. I usually feed ~1/2-1 full nightcrawler each day, with pellets if they're still hungry. They puked up 3/4 of a worm.

And by constipated stance, I mean both back legs not touching the ground and sometimes tail end floating a bit. I don't have a pic of mine doing it, but attached is one I found of another in the stance!

I haven't fridged and am trying to avoid it unless absolutely necessary! And thanks for the kind words, it's tough but I know I gotta sleep to make good decisions haha!
20210326_144511.jpg
Sick_Doctor_001.jpg

Ok, mine isn't really doing that stance but her butt's up in the air, hopefully she'll go to the bathroom soon.

I don't know if a nitrate spike caused mine to throw up. I was cleaning her tank, took her out into her tub, for like 20 minutes while I cleaned, fed her, waited like 10 minutes, put her back in. I think maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Mine usually poos a huge log but sometimes it's sandy, she actually used to poo a lot and now it's like 2-3 times a month. I don't know if I should be worried.

How are your axolotl's gills today? Has the bright redness reduced yet?

Update: Red/bloody spots on gills looking dramatically better today! I can barely see it anymore, I was worried I'd wake up to it being worse but it's so much better. Activity levels are great again too after the nitrate spike lethargy, they ate 3/4 of a worm which is their biggest meal kept down in about a week :)

Update: Red/bloody spots on gills looking dramatically better today! I can barely see it anymore, I was worried I'd wake up to it being worse but it's so much better. Activity levels are great again too after the nitrate spike lethargy, they ate 3/4 of a worm which is their biggest meal kept down in about a week :)
hooray!!!!

Gills don't have any noticeable red spots left now, though some tips are a bit white and frazzled looking. I'm sure that'll heal in time with clean water. Appetite is back to normal, no vomiting anymore! Just waiting on that poop, but they don't seem stressed by it so I won't worry quite yet.

Bonus update: They pooped!! 🎉 It was so large and round that I was sure they'd just prolapsed, but nope, just the answer to all my lotl problems! Case closed 😎

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back