Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red cherry shrimp

niajetze

Reaction score
Has anyone got any advise on the care/ breeding of red cherry shrimp I have read advise from the net but was hoping some of you guys can give me some tried/tested methods. I currently have 10 (mixture of males and females) in a 60litre tank, well planted with sand the temp is 18c and the tank is currently ph 7.4 amonia 0.25 (max as the colour is between 0 and 0.25) nitrite 0 and nitrate 20. Their are no other creatures in the tank but these. also how old before they start to breed they are a little under a cm and do the babies need to be separated some websites say they do others say they dont

THANKS!!

herptastic

Reaction score
I have had ghost shrimp breed fine, I think that nitrates a bit high.Make sure they have java moss, and they should be fine in that tank, babys and all. and I think they stay smallso I would imagine yours are mature but I dont really know.

invertmaniac

Reaction score
just bump up the temperature to about 74 degrees. as soon as there over a half inch they will start to breed. they're realy easy to breed, i'm using my babies to feed baby bettas

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1