Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red-eyed tree frog

E

emily

Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a couple of red-eyed tree frogs, are these easy to care for? What kind of requirements do they need (lights etc.)? I have done a little research on the net but I think i need the info from the pro's
happy.gif
Any advice would be much appreciated.

P.S I believe the scientific name of these are Litoria chloris, I think this is the Australian version (not the American one Agalychnic callidryas-i think thats right)

(Message edited by emily_s on August 06, 2006)

J

joseph

Probably nearly indentical to the green tree frog(L. caerulea)...I haven't seen much about it.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on August 07, 2006)

C

chris

i'd say that green tree frogs are the best to start off with.....but red eye tree frogs have almost the same needs as a green tree frog...but not quit

K

kara

they are very good escape artists! unusually good escape artists....If you start keeping them, AKE SURE your tank lid fits well and is secure....
I think I would recommend whites tree frog to start off with in the world of tree frogs, I kept mine for years, they are very easy to please.

K

kara

(forgot to write this)
definately invest in a waterfall with a misting fog machine. have lots and lots of hiding places, because they are nocturnal. Just like whites they will be active at night, which is great if you are up all hours like me...keep your temperature constant, they DEFINATELY are not as forgiving as whites... just do your research, and good luck!! I hope you have better luck than I did!! (R.I.P krammit the frog!)

J

joseph

Just checking but did you guys read that she is talking of Litoria chloris? I haven't seen anything regarding the care of these in captivity anywhere. Kara's last post sounds like it is about Agalynchnis(spelling...) but maybe the info is out there and I don't know. I'm assuming since they are closely related their requirements are probably not very different. If anything you could read about their habitat/microhabitat and get an idea of what modifications to take. Based on this site here, they might like it more humid than Whites.

http://frogsaustralia.net.au/frogs/display.cfm?frog_id=140

(Message edited by fishkeeper on August 10, 2006)

K

kara

that looks nothing like the frog I had. i beleive mine was a Agalychnis callidryas
also, taking care of whites versus red eyed tree frogs is definately very different.
And youve never heard of the captive care of wites on the internet or anywhere?? Where have ya been?

(Message edited by trincan on August 11, 2006)

E

edward

Kara,
Joseph was referring to care sheets for Litoria chloris not Litora caerulea.

Ed

K

kara

ahhhh....i see now. The Litoria chloris is a different type of red eyed frog?
sorry....

E

emily

sorry guys, I've been so busy looking for info about the RETF and I forgot to look back at my post
happy.gif
Well I went to a reptile place here in Adelaide and the guy there breeds them. I didnt ask any questions but by looking at the tank set up that he had for heaps of baby frogs, it didnt seem too complicated. I've had trouble finding fact sheets about them, but everything that i have found seems to say that they are a lot like the green tree frog. I did find something that said they were a bit harder and was not recommended for the beginner, but... I am really dedicated to looking after these and I like the look of them more than the green tree frog. Should I give it a go?? I keep axolotls and want a bit of variety.

The info care sheet I have found (for green tree frogs-i guess it could be the same as RETF, i'll find this out) says to heat one side of the tank so it has a variety of temps so it can move to the temp it wants, it says you can use heat mats under the substrate, do these heat mats work well?? and would it heat only half of the tank? Also another idea was to put an aquarium heater in the water to increase temps and humidity, well i will have a false bottom in my tank, could i put the heater in the water under the false bottom and heat the water that way? the frog wouldnt have contact with the heater but the water would be warm, is this ok to have warm water? My tank will have a waterfall type water feature....just have to make it
happy.gif

Thanks so much for the info and ideas, i wish Australia had some kinda of forum for the aussie frogs...oh well, any feedback on my new issues would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Emily

K

kara

warmer water gets dirtier faster, a breeding ground for bacteria really. I like the under tank heating pads, but if your power goes out, they will not come back on, and you have to be careful. Frogcicles are no fun
frog.gif

There are many great books about caring for redeye tree frogs, if you can't find them at a library or bookstore order one or two online or try ebay! Good luck! I bought a waterfall/fog mist machine for under 150$ that works AMAZING. It's from ZooMed, check them out.

E

edward

Hi Kara,

You are still confusing the two types of RETF here..

As for the heat mats going out and not coming back on, this hasn't been my experience when using them.

Ed

K

kara

i didnt even refer to retf in my last post. I was commenting on waterfalls and warm water. thanks though.

(Message edited by trincan on August 14, 2006)

E

edward

Hi Kara,

From that last you made that started with the "warm water".

snip "There are many great books about caring for redeye tree frogs..... "end snip.

How is this not a reference to RETFs (and to the wrong species (A. callidryas and not L. chloris))?

E

emily

Thanks guys, my boyfriends dad makes fish tanks for a living and he told me last night that he had to fix a tank because a person used a heat mat on the bottom of the tank and it cracked. Has anybody else had this problem?

Also my tank will be custom made, I'm thinking maybe 2 foot by 2 foot and 3 foot high, but i have a few questions:
1. is this tank a suitable size for 2-3 RETF and the right dimensions for their climbing habits
2. If this tank is ok, would a heat mat under half of the tank be enough to heat the whole tank?

Also, a question about lighting...
I have been told that I would need to use UV light with these frogs and I was just wondering, does it make any difference if the light is shining through glass? I heard from somewhere that UV light cannot penetrate glass therefore wouldnt that make it useless? Do most people have their lights on top of their tanks or do they have them in hoods etc? I know having the lights in the hood would increase the temp in the tank, just slightly confused.

Cheers
Em.

K

kara

how am I confusing them? really, i'd like to know, emily is getting red eyed tree frogs, so i recommend she look for some books...thats hardly confusing species there.
happy.gif

Also, emily, thant sounds like a pretty good size, think about if you are going to have plants and vines, and a waterfall takes up a lot of space. Go as large as you can if you want to keep more than two frogs. Will it be a rectangular or hexagonal shape?

E

emily

I was thinking just plain rectangular just because i think it would be easier to work with compared to an octagonal. I'm going to make a background out of expanding foam that I have seen a lot of people make for their dart frogs on another forum. It looks really good and I think my frogs would like it (when I get them).

E

edward

Hi Kara,

Emily is getting RETF (Pelodryas (Litoria) chloris) not the RETFS that are commonly available in the USA which are Agalychnis callidryas. They are two totally different species with the same/similar common name (just like when she refers to green tree frog she is referring to Pelodryas (Litoria) caerulea not Hyla cinera or Hyla arborea). One is native to Australia and the other is native to Central America. While both are tree frogs with red eyes they live in different niches and have different care. The books you suggested for her to aquire are on Agalychnis callidryas not Litoria chloris (even though you didn't recommend a title, this is what those books contain).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!