Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red-eyed tree frog

E

edward

Emily,

I would agree that that sufficient tanks space for the frogs. As for the heat mat cracking the glass, it depends on the heat mat. This is most commonly seen when people use heat mats meant for people, or seedling grow heat mats. If you are concerned about it, place a rheostat (or a plug in light dimmer) between the heatmat and the wall outlet. This way you can turn down the heat to prevent the glass from getting too hot. Another trick is to use a piece of ceramic tile between the heat mat and the tank glass. In a tank of this height, you can also use a basking light as these frogs will bask if they get too cool.
If you are supplementing with a good vitamin mineral powder then the frogs should get sufficient D3 in this way but you are correct the UVB light would be absorbed if it is passed through the glass. You would need to supplement the lighting

Ed

E

emily

Thanks Ed, I'm going to try your idea with the ceramic tile. So are you saying that if I use a good vitamin powder then I wont need the UV light or should I still use it as well? Also, I assume if I use the heat mat and the basking light I would use them both on one side of the tank to get a varied temp? I am making a false bottomed tank so I can have a shallow pond area for the frogs (so the bottom would be full of water to a certain level), could I use a aquarium heater in the water instead of (or as well as) the heat mat? I have never used a heat mat before so can you set it to a certain temp or does it just come with one setting (if this makes sense) and are they water submersible?.

Thanks heaps for you help.
Em

ryan

Reaction score
hey guys, new here,

im going to get a hold on some red eyes very soon myself. i will however make a new post on the subject. all help will be most appreciated

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1