Illness/Sickness: Red foot on lecustic axolotl

Nebbz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Nebbz
Hi, i have looked on the net, and one place has said that it could be a bacterial infection.....I have had issues with my filter of late and will be buying a new one next wednesday when im paid! although i have seen one which may be suitable that i can buy now.

Anywho, both my axolotls are in the same tank, i have a black and a lecustic male and female at the moment i think!

But the lecustic which is showing signs of being the female (both are around 5/6") She has got one red foot, it was redder yesterday and she was turning to bite her foot, now she is spending more time on the surface. I have recently been treating the tank for hair algi but not had much luck so far as its still there, although it says on the instructions not to change the water, now this has come out.........should i???????? im really worried! the other one is fine (hes called fred) shes called wilma. Both are eating blood worm fine :confused:

pls help im worried.... :(

sod it im changing the water, i cant risk leaving it!!!!!! :confused:

What are you using to treat the hair algae? Axolotls don't do well with certain chemicals in their tank so that's one thought.

What is the temp of your tank? Having the algae sounds like you have a pretty strong natural light source which could be heating up the water plus in case you didn't know, axolotls don't like light or temps above 20 C.

What size is the tank and what are the parameters (pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite)? If you don't have a test kit, most pet shops will test your water for free.

Maybe posting a pic could help too.

I would suggest to fridge her until you know what is going on. The cooler temps will help de-stress her and give her a little relief with the irritated foot. FRIDGING

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back