Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red Leg disease advice PLEASE HELP

SavageA

Reaction score
My golden albino axolotl has a missing end of his tail and has a damaged and red arm. I noticed the missing end of his tail the other day but chalked it up to his tankmate (a slightly larger axolotl) taking a nip at him, as it wouldn't be the first time. Today I noted that he wasn't using his front leg and upon closer inspection, I noticed that they were a deep red color. I immediately scooped him out of the tank and placed him a Brita pitcher as it was the only clean container available (I'm a college student living in a dorm). After doing some research I came to the conclusion that he most likely has a red leg. He also may have a fungal infection in his gills. I gave him a light salt bath which seemed to reduce the redness then followed it up with a tea bath (making sure that the tea was only black tea). He Is now in the fridge which is currently at about 7 degrees celsius. He is the Brita with dechlorinated new water. His tankmate appears perfectly healthy but I will be monitoring both of them closely. What are his chances of survival and what can I do to keep those odds in his favor. I will be calling local vets in the area tomorrow and seeing if they take axolotls.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.59.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.59.11 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 970
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.59.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 1.59.32 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 226

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
My golden albino axolotl has a missing end of his tail and has a damaged and red arm. I noticed the missing end of his tail the other day but chalked it up to his tankmate (a slightly larger axolotl) taking a nip at him, as it wouldn't be the first time. Today I noted that he wasn't using his front leg and upon closer inspection, I noticed that they were a deep red color. I immediately scooped him out of the tank and placed him a Brita pitcher as it was the only clean container available (I'm a college student living in a dorm). After doing some research I came to the conclusion that he most likely has a red leg. He also may have a fungal infection in his gills. I gave him a light salt bath which seemed to reduce the redness then followed it up with a tea bath (making sure that the tea was only black tea). He Is now in the fridge which is currently at about 7 degrees celsius. He is the Brita with dechlorinated new water. His tankmate appears perfectly healthy but I will be monitoring both of them closely. What are his chances of survival and what can I do to keep those odds in his favor. I will be calling local vets in the area tomorrow and seeing if they take axolotls.
not a professional, but i don’t think it’s red leg. i think it’s a case of a bully tankmate, who just injured the tail and leg. that or water quality

SavageA

Reaction score
not a professional, but i don’t think it’s red leg. i think it’s a case of a bully tankmate, who just injured the tail and leg. that or water quality
Hey Axolotl nerd,

I really appreciate the response. Augo's leg looks a lot better today after 2 tea baths and overnight fridging. I still think he may have a minor fungal infection on one of his gills but it's kind of hard to tell. I think you are right and the leg and tail are just evidence of bullying but that raises other concerns for me. The two of them were in a 20 gallon tank together with plenty of space to crawl around so I don't know what would Alduin (the bully) keep doing this to him. Alduin already took a gill from him that's completely regenerated now (actually really cool to watch it slowly regen). Do you think I should keep them separated or move augo back in. also any advice on the maybe gill infection would help.

Thanks again for helping me provide the best possible care for these guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!