Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red patches on my axolotl??

glittrbabe

Reaction score
It literally feels like everything that could be going wrong with my leucistic axolotl is going wrong this month!! I'd posted a thread previously about how she'd been swimming violently and floating a lot about two weeks ago. For around a week, she's been fine, and then today, I noticed she's turning red! She's got large red splotches all over her body and I'm not sure what's causing them. She's currently tubbed in cold dechlorinated water. At first, I thought it was ammonia burn, but here are the stats of the tank I moved her from: temp at 65 degrees, pH is at 7.0, ammonia at 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 40 ppm.

I use Seachem Prime and API stress coat. She eats a nightcrawler every day. She ate tonight about an hour ago, despite appearing unwell. My melanoid axolotl who shares the tank with her appears to be fine, but I tubbed it too just for good measure. Not sure if this is enough for them! If anybody's seen something like this, I would appreciate any advice you have to offer

Attachments

• IMG_8583.jpeg
    IMG_8583.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,500
  • IMG_8580.jpeg
    IMG_8580.jpeg
    962 KB · Views: 321

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Stop using Stress coat ASAP

Get this one tubbed ASAP in Prime treated water ONLY.

Aloe in Stresscoat can be a huge problem with slime coat and breathing.

Red patches are generally chemical burns, slime coat irratation, severe infection or trauma.

glittrbabe

Reaction score
Stop using Stress coat ASAP

Get this one tubbed ASAP in Prime treated water ONLY.

Aloe in Stresscoat can be a huge problem with slime coat and breathing.

Red patches are generally chemical burns, slime coat irratation, severe infection or trauma.
Hi, thank you for the advice! I moved her last night into Prime treated water. This morning her skin appears to be slightly less irritated, although when I was looking over the tub I noticed all these white/translucent particles floating around in the water. I wonder if that's her slime coat shedding (I should've taken a picture to be sure but I was focused on getting her into clean water). I had absolutely no idea Stresscoat could be bad for axolotls, this whole time I thought it would be good for situations like this. Thank you for letting me know!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    1,020 KB · Views: 409

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Its most likely slime coat.
While she is tubbed do a few water changes on your tank to get the stress coat really diluted.
Either a few daily 50% or a 75% then a 50% in 2 days and another 50% 2 days after that.

I find Leucistics to be the most sensitive of all the morphs.

Hi, thank you for the advice! I moved her last night into Prime treated water. This morning her skin appears to be slightly less irritated, although when I was looking over the tub I noticed all these white/translucent particles floating around in the water. I wonder if that's her slime coat shedding (I should've taken a picture to be sure but I was focused on getting her into clean water). I had absolutely no idea Stresscoat could be bad for axolotls, this whole time I thought it would be good for situations like this. Thank you for letting me know!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!