Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Red small dots

Aristole

Reaction score
Hi,
I noticed small dots on my axolotl and are sought of red. (S)he also has red toes and at the tips it looks like it is shedding. There is a smaller axy in with it.:confused:
Photos soon....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 345

xxianxx

Reaction score
Your pic isn't very clear but the foot looks like its infected and red dots can be a sign of poor water quality or septicemia. Is your tank cycled ? What are the water peramiters ? If you haven't a test kit do a big water change to be on the safe side, you can add almond leaves to prevent fungal infection of the feet, foot rot can be caused by a bacterial build up on surfaces ( not sand) so wipe down and decorations. If you could post some better pics, septicemia needs vet treatment, also post a head / throat PIC if poss, a swollen throat can indicate this.

Aristole

Reaction score
the water is fine and ill have to buy a tester kit. But the ph is normal. My melanoid passed away from septicemia. I have moved it to a different tank and it seems to be ok and it is hungry. SO i think the axy is getting better. Its hand doesn't look as bad as last time. Also its tail was nipped or something.

Aristole

Reaction score
Hi again, the first day its tail was bleeding and cut, i moved it to a different tank. The next day: completely fine and tail was not bleeding, next day it was!! What is happening anyone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1