Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red spots on tail

BrickCorvidae

Reaction score
While I was moving Greg to his quarantine tank (while his main time cycled), I noticed these couple little red marks on his tail. Water parameters are all normal, temp has been below 64 F, and he's been eat/pooping normally. The other thing of note is that he's been really active - hoping he just whacked it on something.

Currently I have an Indian almond leaf in the tank with him. Pics included. Thanks!

edited for additional pictues

Attachments

• 20201014_140913.jpg
    20201014_140913.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 175
  • 20201014_204055.jpg
    20201014_204055.jpg
    370.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 20201014_204622.jpg
    20201014_204622.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 97
  • 20201014_204627.jpg
    20201014_204627.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Bruises

Parameters all normal isn't helpful though - we need actual numbers

Causes of increased activity could be spikes is ammonia, nitrite and or nitrate, pH issues so test results are super helpful to rule things out.

BrickCorvidae

Reaction score
0, 0, and 20 respectively Will have to test pH in the morning.
He's completely settled down now. I wonder if it may have been because I changed his tank layout a bit?

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
Bruises

Parameters all normal isn't helpful though - we need actual numbers

Causes of increased activity could be spikes is ammonia, nitrite and or nitrate, pH issues so test results are super helpful to rule things out.
It co
While I was moving Greg to his quarantine tank (while his main time cycled), I noticed these couple little red marks on his tail. Water parameters are all normal, temp has been below 64 F, and he's been eat/pooping normally. The other thing of note is that he's been really active - hoping he just whacked it on something.

Currently I have an Indian almond leaf in the tank with him. Pics included. Thanks!

edited for additional pictues
it could also be ammonia burn. If you had your lotl in an uncycled tank, its highly possible. My lotl had red streaks on her tail when she got it. Tubbing 100% water changes daily is the way to go to fix that problem.

BrickCorvidae

Reaction score
it could also be ammonia burn. If you had your lotl in an uncycled tank, its highly possible. My lotl had red streaks on her tail when she got it. Tubbing 100% water changes daily is the way to go to fix that problem.

I was worried that it qas ammonia burn as well, but he was already tubbed and even the crashed tank had 0 ppm ammonia. I think it was a bruise from his "why did Wormbgiver change my home around" freak-out rampage because it's almost healed already.

Phew! Man, these little guys keep us on our toes.

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I was worried that it qas ammonia burn as well, but he was already tubbed and even the crashed tank had 0 ppm ammonia. I think it was a bruise from his "why did Wormbgiver change my home around" freak-out rampage because it's almost healed already.

Phew! Man, these little guys keep us on our toes.
That’s good!! Yes if it was 0 ammonia I’m assuming it wasn’t. Yes they can😂😂 once u get the tank cycled and everything stable you can finally enjoy your lotl😂😂 I’m like 3 months after cycling and I love my lotl, she was super stressful at the beginning tho

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1