Red Stomach

LauraChristie27

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,
This is my first time raising Axolotls in general, the two at my work had eggs randomly and I’m trying my best to raise them.
Axies are about a month old now, maybe slightly less, approx 1.5cm no front or back legs that I can see yet.

I have noticed a couple of them have bright red bellies constantly, does anyone know what this is? I know the pinker part would be the brine shrimp it has eaten, but any idea what the darker red part along the length of the body is? Not sure if it’s normal or not. I have attached a photo for reference.

Also they’re all really small and don’t seem to be growing very much at all. The weather has been fairly cool over the last month but we are getting quite a few warmer days now, so I thought they’d be showing some growth by now.
Any advice?
2D2D5EDF-4533-4F45-A2BF-ABAFA51400D9.jpeg

Its a fuzzy picture but the back darker part is the poop at a month you should have front legs and be approximately 1 inch long.

How often are you feeding? water changing?

Are they tubbed?

Larvae do best with once or twice daily water changes as the BBS causes water quality issues.
I’m not sure what you mean by tubbed. They’re currently in a 40L tank, with very very shallow water, maybe only a cm deep, they also have an air stone to aerate the water.
Unfortunately due to my long work days, I just don’t have the time to do 2 water changes a day. I’ll see what I can manage though.

I use plastic food grade containers to raise my larva in - communal until they start to hit the cannibalistic stage then into deli cups to keep them from attacking each other. I water change the tubs 100% minimum of once a day and ideally twice a day.

I attached 2 photos of 1 month old larva raised this way - they all have full front legs and back leg nubs.
The rack is how I house them once they start getting back legs as thats my cue they will start having nibbing issues.

I’m not sure what you mean by tubbed. They’re currently in a 40L tank, with very very shallow water, maybe only a cm deep, they also have an air stone to aerate the water.
Unfortunately due to my long work days, I just don’t have the time to do 2 water changes a day. I’ll see what I can manage though.

Attachments

• 1 month old.jpg
    1 month old.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 1month old larva.jpg
    1month old larva.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Raising axos.jpg
    Raising axos.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 161
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back