Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red tipped gill and white tipped gills

Growkj

Reaction score
So I got a 5in juvenile axolotl(Parsnip) a couple of weeks ago. Parsnip up until this point has been doing great. They've been eating and pooping normally and casually swimming, and lounging. Last night I noticed that one of parsnip's gills had a bright red tip and it seemed as if some of the frills there were missing. Upon closer inspection , some of the other gills had paler tips than what they normally look like. I had been home all day and so this development was very quick. The gills appeared normal in the morning and even in the afternoon. I have a planted tank with a piece of drift wood and also a slate cave. I made sure to file the edges of the rocks before introducing the axolotl. He/she loves climbing up the rocks and playing in and on the cave so maybe it's possible that Parsnip injured themselves? All of my tank levels read 0 ppm.
My main concern is that one gill tip is red while the others seem whiteish. I've attached a couple pictures of Parsnip before and after.
Before:
20200425_133843.jpg

After:
20200503_002613.jpg

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Growkj

Reaction score
I know no one commented on this thread but i wanted to update this post in case anyone was having a similar situation. I took Parsnip to an exotic pet vet and they did a biopsy. He has a parasite and they gave him some medicine to do as a bath. I had some snail invaders and they think they hitched a ride with them. Medicine baths and a tank overhaul coming up.

kaixingin

Reaction score
Whoa whoa whoa thats crazy! So it was from the live plants? Thanks for sharing your info with the forum, sorry no one got back to you but it seems like the vet was the answer. I'm glad you got it sorted and good luck on your tank overhaul, thats a bummer :( I know how much work planted tanks are.

Growkj

Reaction score
Yeah the parasite is called Trichodina sp parasite. It travels in on living creatures so snails, fish, etc. In this case the snails from my live plants. Also, Thank you for the well wishes. I don't mind putting in a little extra work to make sure Parsnip is healthy and happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!