Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Red wigglers toxic?

fishkeeper

Reaction score
I seem to remember that EK posted a reference to red wigglers being toxic to fish? Does anyone have it or know where it is?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are toxic to garter snakes. And the secretions from the worms are actually quite toxic to amphibian larvae. I don't recall anything about them being toxic to fish.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Hello Jenn.

Thanks! Do you think though that this info means they are not good food choices for fish/amphibians?

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like every food choice has some kind of risk, whether it's lack of calcium, or something else. Lots of people have used red wigglers to feed fish and newts. I would say that if you have homegrown ones, you should definitely use them. If not, I'd be less enthusiastic, especially since commercial ones are often grown in manure.

peterj

Reaction score
My latest batch of axolotls were fed red wrigglers (home grown) as a staple from 4 weeks to 4 months old and have grown very well - my only problem is that they're chewing down a handful daily. Possibly not the best option if you're squeemish, up until a couple of weeks ago I was having to chop the worms, not very pretty. I also regularly use them for a variety of fish (though some species do refuse to eat them) and a turtle with no problems.

morg

Reaction score
I am not sure about the secretions from red wrigglers being toxic, although I know they are distastefull to some amphibian species.
In the past I have used redworms as a staple diet of both the larvae of Pleorodeles and Tylototryton verrucosus with no problems at all.
Due to the taste being offputting to a lot of newt species though, I prefer to get out into my garden and dig up good old earthworms to use as food whenever possible

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!