Question: Red wigglers

speckles

Reaction score
Country
United States
i heard earthworms are the best thing for salamanders but i the only type of worms that are sold around where i live right now are red wigglers and i was wondering are they safe to feed to her. also how should i feed her a worm especially an earthworm shes about 5.5 inches.

I have read some won't eat Red Wigglers. If your salamander eats them that is fine. Issue on size, you will need to cut the earthworm into segments.

i heard earthworms are the best thing for salamanders but i the only type of worms that are sold around where i live right now are red wigglers and i was wondering are they safe to feed to her. also how should i feed her a worm especially an earthworm shes about 5.5 inches.

They are safe to feed but red wigglers are known to have a bad bitter taste that some newts and salamanders don't like, to get rid of it some people soak them in water for a few minutes (say 30.)
If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Sam

ok two questions: 1. how big should the segments be and 2. how do i keep them, do i put them in the fridge?

I kept red wrigglers in the fridge when I had them. And cut them up to about 1/2 the size of your newts head - that way the worm pieces should fit easily into the newts mouth.

i found a store that sells night crawlers and after cutting one up and feeding it to her she loved it! thanks for all the help everyone who answered

The size of the pieces depends on your salamander. Bigger salamanders, like tigers or axolotls, can take chunks half as long as their body. Little salamanders need more 'bite size' pieces.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back