Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Reddening at tips of gill filaments, don't know what's wrong. Help!

hacelepues

Reaction score
Luna is about 6" long currently. Still unsexable. She has been in her tank for over a month when one day I noticed some of her filaments were shorter and deep red. Almost like a burn. Asides from that, she seemed perfectly fine, but I removed her immediately and fridged her. She was in the fridge for just over a week. Her gills didn't look any better, but they weren't worse either.

Then I was unable to keep her in the fridge, but I kept her in her separate container an continued with the daily water changes. 4 days of this and there was still no improvement, but no worsening. Today, I was going to do her water change when I noticed her gills looked a little worse. I'm going to put her back in the fridge, but I want to know if anyone has any idea what this is??? If it's a fungus I want to give her a salt bath, but I don't want to do that unless I'm sure.

Here is a picture from moments ago:
wFHmg.jpeg

How do I treat this? Asides from the gills she's been completely normal. Same appetite and level of activity (not too active), attentive of her surroundings.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
Has (lets just say she) got any tank mates that could have nipped them? Have you checked your ammonia levels in the tank and been cleaning her container out daily? It looks almost like burn. My second guess was saprolegnia: Axolotls - Health & Diseases, but it doesn't seem the be of the same consistency as the strange, red fungus associated and/or other symptoms with that. It can, however, be prolific at colder temperatures. If your water qualities all good and there's no way she could have received injury, I'm at a slight loss. Certainly sent my brain into filing through the axolotl knowledge I do keep stored up there! I would take her to the vet if you're able to, for confirmation or to rule out saprolegnia. Either way they can offer you effect advice and treatment. If caught early on saprolegnia is usually easily treated with salt baths.

hacelepues

Reaction score
She's by herself in a big plastic tub ( probably 10 gallons of water) with a hide and a cycled sponge filter. I can say anything for certain about the quality of the water in her tank when I noticed her gills as my kit ran out, but it's on the same maintenance schedule as my adult tank. I've never had water quality issues... ever. But I know that without tests there's no way to be sure.

for the last 2 weeks, she's been getting 100% daily changes with dechlorinated, equal temperature water.

I think it looks like ammonia burn too... but I find it strange that it would only appear on such small areas of two gill stalks. So I'm not too sure.

NeekaLovesYou

Reaction score
That's what struck me as odd - usually if its burn you'd think it would affect most if not all of the gills, if the ammonia's high enough to cause damage in the first place that is...that's when I considered saprolegnia.

Olivia97

Reaction score
Is it possible that she may have become caught in any part of the filter, it looks as if its been caught and then made like a blood blister?

hacelepues

Reaction score
Is it possible that she may have become caught in any part of the filter, it looks as if its been caught and then made like a blood blister?

Hmmm that's something to consider. But it's a sponge filter that doesn't have any moving parts so she would have had to stick her gills down the tube. Don't know how possible that is. It looks very similar to this one
2.5_breeder_alternate_sponge_72dpi_6x4.5.jpg

hacelepues

Reaction score
Is there anything I can do to help it heal ? I've been giving her fresh water daily and no improvement whatsoever.

Lmantrone

Reaction score
Wow. I came onto the forum this evening to precisely ask about this as my boy Jello has this redness on just one of his gills. (The tippy top filaments on one stalk are pinker and the top of the stalk is curled over, as with this one, at the top, not unlike the frond of a fern.) My water is perfect and Jello seems to be eating fine and appears normal in every other way.

I initially thought as well that Pinky, his tank mate, might have nipped him. I have no way of knowing. I am keeping an eye on the situation to ensure that it does not spread in any way.

Will keep you informed as things develop!

Good luck!!

Leslie

birgit

Reaction score
Hi,
My axie has something similar, i've posted a topic about him, i wanted to ask for updates on yours. Mine has the same on his gills, just at one spot, exactly as if a bloodworm is stuck to his gills. He also red on three of his nails and a bit on the lining of his tail.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!