Reef Fan

Levo

Reaction score
Country
England
Hey guys, I got questions again but I know how great you guys are that this will always be my first port of call. Been searching around the forums as well as the other related sites and read about different ways of cooling the tank, during the summers and even winters the flat can get really hot it's horrible.

I am restricted with space etc... But I only have a small tank which at the moments only has 5.5 inches of water in it. I just wanted to know what your experiences are with reef fans, this looks the best option as I can see but will it disturb the water too much? Can anyone recommend anything that works great for a small tank in a small hot flat? We are in winter here in the UK but even though the temperatures have reached around the mid teens today and my tanks temp is reading about 20 C (by the way the thermometer is a sticky on side tank one that which is a bit naff I reckon, I got a digital one waiting for me in my parents house I will collect at the weekend)

The ice bottle option is just no good for me because it requires lot of attention and I am not here enough to give it that sort of attention.

Cooling seems to have been discussed endlessly on this forum (checking the archives) but usually ends up as either spend a fortune on a commercial chiller unit, swap frozen water bottles in a timely fashion or fridge the axy until the heat wave passes. I share your situation of having my tank in a warm room and not believing the water bottle option is particularly viable. Currently I'm relying on the shear mass of water (220 litres) and it's inherent heat capacity to hold a steady 17 to 18C as the room fluctuates from 12/15C in the daytime (no heating) and 23C (central heating on in the evening). However in summer when the temperature average increases this won't be viable.

Consequently, I've been working on producing a cheap home-made chiller based on peltier devices. I had intended posting a complete how-to but it sounds like you could do with one now so I'll try and put something together by the weekend.

Just out of interest, how much water do you have in the tank (either in litres or the h x w x 14cm) ?

It's got about 15 litres in at the moments, while I have been cycling it I have foud it really helpful and easier, using spring water that I had bought from the supermarket in 5 litre bottles.

15 litres will be relatively easy to keep cool(er) using a peltier device. Using a reef fan you only get a temperature drop due to evaporation which means regular topping-up.

As for using spring water - you will probably find that it is cheaper and more convenient to use tap water with a dechlorinator product but I suppose whatever works for you and your axy. (The hardness of 'spring water' varies between brands and tap water by location which is something else to consider...:wacko: - see here for more info on water quality.)

Yeah thanks tyl3r, the spring water was a short term measure really while the tank was getting started. I will soon probably move on to using tap water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back