Rescued frog/newt egg from frozen bog- HELP!!!

Finn the fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
A couple day ago, my 10-year-old sister took about 5 clutches of wild amphibian eggs (I'm assuming Spring Peeper?) from this bog near us to keep as pets. Yes, she wanted 1000+ pet frogs. She will take any wild animal she can catch and keep it as a pet. It doesn't help that my parents encourage her. Anyhow, she was keeping them in about 80 degree pure tap water (the bog was about 60 degrees at the time). I took them and released them, as it was super hot outside, and had been for months.

Last night, we had a HUGE snowstorm (I live in New England, ok? This happens sometimes, but rarely), and the bog froze. The frog egg were close to the top, and I know that can be dangerous (they can freeze and die), so I took them back in. The population of amphibians here decreases by a lot each year, so I want to make sure at least some of them survive. I've recued animals before, and assisted rescues/fostered wildlife. Anything I need to know? I could only get 2 clutches out, they're in a small bucket with pond water. I have bottled beneficial bacteria, and many other things, as I am quite the aquarium hobbyist.

All the best!
-Ollie

Adding on- it's legal to keep Spring Peepers and Eastern Newts where I live, and it's still cold for much else to be out.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back