Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ribbed newt turned black and can’t shed

Tomroberts

Reaction score
I have a Spanish ribbed newt who seemingly has a thick layer of unshed skin and has been this way for more than a year as I thought it was just coloration. Her skin is wrinkled and dark. I haven’t seen her shed in maybe more than a year. I don’t know how to resolve this issue and any help is appreciated. The water ph is on the higher side maybe up to 8.2 but I’m adding tannins to reduce this. The last 2 photos are before the change in her skin, thanks in advance.
065D7D96-865D-4814-A0A2-DECFC63BA945.jpeg
DCF25BC8-419C-476E-A020-87CB5880286B.jpeg
332CDA1C-6394-4292-A3DA-0264C5EFD40F.jpeg
71147DAB-FAE3-4F92-8030-A3218A41733B.png
EBDC08BD-5198-4ED7-95EA-331D5FEA01DB.png

AuSu

Reaction score
I assume it has shed but you just haven't noticed it (they are so quick eating their skin!). I have only experience with firebelly newts, but some of them change colour for shorter or longer periods, I don't know the reason. Could it have anything to do with the breeding suit in this case? The reason why I assume it has shed, is that it'd probably be behaving ill or strange after such a long pause.

AuSu

Reaction score
Have you checked this link already? There's different illnesses and symptoms listed and ways to solve them.
I noticed you have fish in the tank, too. They could stress the newt and also if the water is too warm for it, these could harm the shedding.
Take a look on that page, there's also some good info on species & housing, hope it helps!

Tomroberts

Reaction score
Have you checked this link already? There's different illnesses and symptoms listed and ways to solve them.
I noticed you have fish in the tank, too. They could stress the newt and also if the water is too warm for it, these could harm the shedding.
Take a look on that page, there's also some good info on species & housing, hope it helps!
i did remove the fish, I will check the link, thanks. Also sorry if I’ve replied wrong this website confuses me 😂

AuSu

Reaction score
I think this is the right place 😄 I noticed you had a similar topic in other section, too. This forum can be a bit confusing at first but you'll get used to the page soon!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1