Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Risks with using maggots?

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
if i were to culture maggots from the common house fly would there be any risks with transferring disease, parasites or harmful thigns to my salamanders? Also if i were to get maggots would they be eaten by two lined (e. Bislineata) larvae or any other aquatic newts/salamanders?

onetwentysix

Reaction score
There are some risks with using house flies. I know there are significant risks regarding disease transmission to humans; whether or not this is the case with amphibians, I don't know; I'd imagine they would be susceptible. The maggots would be a good food item, but unless you can control the breeding conditions of the flies there remains potential for disease.

You could try culturing the maggots in containers that prevent flies from entering and leaving, to minimize the risks, but it seems like a lot of risk for minimal reward.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I do have an amusing anecdote involving a Demognathus welteri vomiting up dozens of maggots in my now fiancee's hand (knew she was a keeper when she laughed about that!). The salamanders in that stream were clearly exploiting the abundance of a nearby VERY rancid deer carcass.

I've also fed maggots extensively to Eurycea of various species for a few years with no adverse effects. However these were purchased from Grubco. From what they come packed in it seems that Grubco uses ground up fish bones/meal as a food source.

Last edited:

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
Ok i think i may take a shot at culturing maggots but only if i cannot find a suitable food source.

would fruit fly culturing methods work for house flies?

louise

Reaction score
You can buy tubs of maggots from fish bait shops. Ask for the undyed ones.

FredLikesNewts

Reaction score
Thats good to know, although im not sure i know of any bait shops around where i live, but i think ill search for some now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!